Massed Cell Biofilm

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
DonSchaeffer

Massed Cell Biofilm

#1 Post by DonSchaeffer » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:14 pm

My dirty water jar eventually developed a gelatin-like film over the surface. I could lift the surface of the water and the medium would stretch like elastic. The organisms living in the medium, perhaps feeding on the bacteria in the medium, were partially tied together with biofilm. I took some of the gel-like surface for the microscope. It was crowded with a variety of protists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTU5l0b5Y1Q

grassthe

Re: Massed Cell Biofilm

#2 Post by grassthe » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:25 am

DonSchaeffer wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:14 pm
My dirty water jar eventually developed a gelatin-like film over the surface. I could lift the surface of the water and the medium would stretch like elastic. The organisms living in the medium, perhaps feeding on the bacteria in the medium, were partially tied together with biofilm. I took some of the gel-like surface for the microscope. It was crowded with a variety of protists.

octordle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTU5l0b5Y1Q
Biofilm helped keep the organisms in the medium together, which were likely eating off the bacteria there. I scooped up some of the jellylike substance for examination under the microscope. Many different kinds of protists crammed into the space.

xioz

#3 Post by xioz » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:45 pm

Nice! I will have to look at the biofilm on my sample jar.

DonSchaeffer

#4 Post by DonSchaeffer » Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:53 pm

I will repeat this. I blush! Two cover glasses got stuck together so the images were taken through two layers of glass. That no doubt made a big difference. Sorry.