What is this on my new microscope? I need help

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Francescod

What is this on my new microscope? I need help

#1 Post by Francescod » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:14 pm

Greetings everyone.
After watching a couple of videos on YouTube I ended up buying swift sw380t.
While I'm using it, I noticed that under 10x objective lens there is one black spot upper left that looks like a weird cell and also some other smaller black spots. I did perform some checks: I moved my slide, I did put new slide, I rotated the eyepieces, but nothing they are always there.
I would like also to note something maybe important. I do notice these black spots only when moving the stage to a specific point. Has this to do with the 10x objective lens, like there is some dust?

Thank you
Attachments
received_761888841775533.jpeg
received_761888841775533.jpeg (12.34 KiB) Viewed 1199 times

xioz

Re: What is this on my new microscope? I need help

#2 Post by xioz » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:33 am

There are a lot more experienced people here to comment, but I am guessing when you say the 'moving the stage to a specific point' you mean up and down ie focusing? Otherwise I don't understand how the moving the slide doesn't move the spots but moving the stage does.

It may be the spots are only in focus with the 10x objective or it may on/in the objective. Try unscrewing the objective slightly while viewing the spots and see if they rotate with the objective lens.

Greg Howald

#3 Post by Greg Howald » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:05 pm

True. Rotate the objective to see if it is the cause.
Clean the top lens on the condenser.
Check the entire light path for cleanliness, including the lens on the bottom of the head.
Disassembly of microscope head is not recommended.
Do spots disappear when you focus on a specimen?
If they do, don't get too excited about it.
Is there a glass element in the occular tubes below the eyepiece mount? Sometimes dust gets in there and that surface needs cleaning.

I'm sure that people with more experience than me will chime in hear with their suggestions. :)

DonSchaeffer

#4 Post by DonSchaeffer » Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:51 pm

You may learn to live with it. Sometimes things get caught in the optics and one can live with them if they are not too disruptive. I must say, that one looks almost identifiable.

BramHuntingNematodes

#5 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:29 pm

You might be focusing on the top of the condenser or having some surface of your field light source projected. You did your proper Kohler exercise I assume?
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination