Various Desmidiaceae collected in a moor

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
ImperatorRex

Various Desmidiaceae collected in a moor

#1 Post by ImperatorRex » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:00 am

Dear foresters,

during a short vacation I had the opportunity to visit a moor to take some water samples. Was quite happy to catch few desmidiaceae.
Like to share some impressions with you.

Site: Taufach - Fetzach - Moos (Germany, Württemberg Allgäu - September, 25th 2022)

3 - Euastrum sp. The last picture shows the alga somewhat deformed due to the pressure on the cover glass. Could this be Euastrum didelta? Edit: It is probabely E. humerosum.

Image 4 - Netrium interruptum, first image with size indications, further image with focus on the terminal vacuoles and the enclosed crystals.

Image 5 - Netrium interruptum, image shows the dark green stripes of the star-shaped chloroplast in cross-section. The alga already appears somewhat deformed due to the pressure on the coverslip.

Image 6 - Micrasterias sp. (possibly Micrasterias americana ?). First recording in HF, second recording with DIK.

Image 7 - Tetmemorus sp. (T. granulatus)? I assume that the photo shows the side view of the alga, so the deep cuts at the ends are not visible?

Recording 8 - Hyalotheca sp. (Hyalotheca mucosa). DIK images with a focus on the gelatinous shell.
Last edited by ImperatorRex on Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

tlansing

Re: Various Desmidiaceae collected in a moor

#2 Post by tlansing » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:45 am

Beautiful photos, Jochen! Desmids are such a diverse group, with many different morphologies. I always enjoy finding them! The Hyalotheca that I find in my local pond here in North Carolina have many pores in the mucoid layer surrounding the cells on the filamentous desmid. Do you see these in your samples?

Tim

WWWW

#3 Post by WWWW » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:23 pm

Wauw,

Special species and wonderful photos !

ImperatorRex

#4 Post by ImperatorRex » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:39 pm

Thank you for the comments WWWW and Tim.
tlansing wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:45 am
The Hyalotheca that I find in my local pond here in North Carolina have many pores in the mucoid layer surrounding the cells on the filamentous desmid. Do you see these in your samples?
H. mucosa should have pores at the apical cell wall, but I failed to spot any pores. I will try to check with further samples!
The pores are quite well documented here:
https://www.plingfactory.de/Science/Atl ... ucosa.html