Chilling out with a Paramecium !

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Martin Parnham

Chilling out with a Paramecium !

#1 Post by Martin Parnham » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:47 am

Hi folks - I created this video to show food vacuole formation and cytoplasmic streaming in Paramecium. Without slowing them down this is very difficult to see. In order to do this I used a 3% Methyl-Cellulose solution. One drop on a slide, one drop alongside of the sample water and mixed with a mounted needle, then the cover slip. It enables detailed observation without stopping the normal internal processes. Having shown the video to family they commented how serene and peaceful it looks. I thought I would set it to some music and post as a 5 minute 'chill out' video. Set it to full screen, put on earphones and relax...................

Martin

PS - It also happens to show the processes I set out to observe !

Brunel microscope SP300, achro, plan, infinity, oblique, x40 objective, filmed on Samsung Galaxy A13 phone.

macnmotion

Re: Chilling out with a Paramecium !

#2 Post by macnmotion » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:01 pm

Very nice. I was surprised to see it was recorded on a cell phone.

DonSchaeffer

#3 Post by DonSchaeffer » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:46 pm

Cell phones are your mama!

Martin Parnham

#4 Post by Martin Parnham » Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:23 pm

Thank you - This might be heresy, but in many respects I find my phone better than my dedicated 5 megapixel USB 'microscope camera' !

It can shoot HD at 30 fps. Its light sensitivity and colour response is excellent, its contrast is also excellent. Its focus is precise. I suppose its main limitation is a restricted field of view but I can usually move the specimen to compensate for this. I have it mounted on the trinocular camera port. I have to stand to view the screen and operate it, but that's no real problem. It is also very much only a mid range phone in its capabilities (Samsung Galaxy a13 - about £140.00 here in the UK). For not a great deal more you can get phone with higher resolution, 60 fps, slow motion etc. I am seriously thinking of buying another higher spec one to leave permanently on the scope as my camera. I must admit I was rather skeptical at first but I have been very pleasantly surprised by the results.

Get my tin hat on!

Martin

Sansub2

#5 Post by Sansub2 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:46 pm

Pretty nice video. It is more impressive when I saw your spec.

I agree with the phone recording. My microscopes are trinocular. I did setup entry level sony mirrorless camera ( bought it for 250$ used) and spent another 50$ for other accessories but at the end I found out that my phone camera takes superior images and much easier to use. So, when it was time to get a new phone, I went with a very good camera phone (Samsung galaxy S21 ultra - 12$ per month). It takes beautiful videos and pictures @4k60. It only takes about a minute to setup. I wouldn't bother with mirrorless anymore and never use usb ( very expensive to get half the good video of the cell camera). The way technology moving, cellphone cameras improve every year. They are reaching close to 1" sensor now.

macnmotion

#6 Post by macnmotion » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:13 am

I wonder if my S22 Ultra would work and reach focus with my Nikon Diaphot. I'll give it a try.

Martin Parnham

#7 Post by Martin Parnham » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:44 pm

Thanks for the camera tips I will definitely look at those other Samsung phones.

One of the main reasons I post my system specs is to hopefully show people that you can get fairly respectable results with quite modest equipment. My scope is a good quality but 'ordinary' bright field device. My phone is similarly not 'top end'. I use 2 homemade cardboard stops, Darkfield and a Rheinberg oblique. I use Polerisers occasionally.
I also hope people will see how useful oblique lighting can be. I simply move the darkfield stop out a little. You can also get a sort of half darkfield half oblique effect which can give excellent images.

Martin