Lacrymaria eating Euplotes

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
macnmotion

Lacrymaria eating Euplotes

#1 Post by macnmotion » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:07 am

Unfortunately this video wasn't captured using my oil immersion lens so the quality isn't what I would hope it to be, however the action is still insane. Just a few hours ago I watched the Microcosmos video about Lacrymaria, and they showed one eating another organism. Now I'm lucky enough to see and capture the same thing! This weekend, raise your glass to the memory of the euplotes. Here is the short video.

Javier

Re: Lacrymaria eating Euplotes

#2 Post by Javier » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:12 am

Wow!

You captured an amazing moment. Thanks for sharing.

Dennis

#3 Post by Dennis » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:10 pm

macnmotion,

I personally have yet to be impressed by any videos I have seen where they say they used oil.
Sure looks okay, not saying it doesn't...
But nothing so far persuades me- Oh I have to go that route.

macnmotion

#4 Post by macnmotion » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:19 pm

The video you're commenting on did not use oil, it's 40x phase contrast.

If you watch the next video I posted, the 3rd scene of a lacrymaria eating a lacrymaria was shot with oil immersion. The clarity using oil is astounding.

Sure, oil immersion isn't for everyone. I happen to enjoy the increased resolution and clarity of my oil immersion videos, and the time I spend perusing my slides using oil makes me feel like I'm in the environment myself.

Dennis

#5 Post by Dennis » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:31 pm

I accidentally just "reported this" it said when I was trying to quote. (Note to Oliver)

I can relate. Getting involved. I start to bond with them after filming a while.

thomasfrank

#6 Post by thomasfrank » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:00 am

It is possible for Lacrymaria to eat Euplotes, as Lacrymaria is a predatory ciliate that feeds on other ciliates, including Euplotes. When Lacrymaria encounters Euplotes, It is possible for Lacrymaria to eat Euplotes, as Lacrymaria is a predatory ciliate that feeds on other ciliates, including Euplotes. When Lacrymaria encounters Euplotes, it uses its tentacle to ensnare the Euplotes and bring it to its mouth, build now gg where it is consumed. it uses its tentacle to ensnare the Euplotes and bring them to its mouth, where it is consumed.

einman

#7 Post by einman » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:08 am

Amazing video! Thanks for posting this.

macnmotion

#8 Post by macnmotion » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:52 am

Thanks. Did you see the video I posted after this showing a lacrymaria eating another lacrymaria?