Epistylis undergiong binary fission

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
macnmotion

Epistylis undergiong binary fission

#1 Post by macnmotion » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:04 am

Epistylis undergoing binary fission

Javier

Re: Epistylis undergiong binary fission

#2 Post by Javier » Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:36 pm

Another great moment captured!

I'm intrigued by your ability to capture very interesting scenes. Could you describe your observing routine?

macnmotion

#3 Post by macnmotion » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:07 am

Javier wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:36 pm
Another great moment captured!

I'm intrigued by your ability to capture very interesting scenes. Could you describe your observing routine?
Thanks Javier. I don't think I'm doing anything special, but I think I've had some good luck witnessing interesting scenes.

My routine: I've been trying to collect new samples every weekend. That keeps things fresh. When I kept longer samples they tended to end up with tons of just a few organisms. I build slides with large cover glasses so there is more opportunity per slide. I grab some debris or algae with tweezers and tap it onto the slide, which leaves behind small pieces of debris and organisms. If necessary I add a few drops of water as well but not much as I want a very thin slide. I use a 10x objective, start at one corner, then move through the slide quickly in a pattern for example straight down, then right one FOV width, straight up, etc. I look for movement, stopping briefly when I see something. If I teresting I pause to think, if not I move on.

When "thinking" I'm just looking to see what it's doing, what other organisms there are nearby, is it something I haven't seen before. If interesting I follow it, but if it's hard to follow I eventually give up and go back to my search. If interesting and not moving too much, I flip to my 40x and if it looks interesting I switch to my 40x oil. I'm careful about that final move because once I do that, there's no going back to 10x so my search of the remainder of the slide will be a lot slower. Then. I'm patient. I stick with an organism, watching it's behavior. In the case of the Epistylis being eaten, I just had a feeling with so many Amphileptus around the second Epistylis would become a target, so I waited 5 minutes watching and sure enough it was attacked.

If my quick scan of a slide doesn't find anything interesting within a few minutes I make a new slide. I can usually tell pretty quickly what kinds of things are on a slide.

Javier

#4 Post by Javier » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:10 pm

Thank you for the detailed description!