Hydra revisited

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
shawngibson

Hydra revisited

#1 Post by shawngibson » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:38 am

I had to bring out my metal grinder, tape, and precision tools to get my new attachment to fit with my condenser/light combination. Took a few hours. But now I've got 100x working. 40x still doesn't work. I think burying it in glycerin for a quick moment killed it, even though I cleaned it immediately with a lens rag.

Charlie G asked me to concentrate on the tentacles, so I tried to. They're 100x in oil. Not sure what the stacking was, I was lucky if I got 3 stacks.

This thing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171961949534

It didn't fit, but I made it fit. I had to bring out my grinder. Don't ask. Crazy.

Hydra per my last Hydra. Some are at 100x in oil, first time for that:)
Attachments
hr2.jpg
hr2.jpg (305.64 KiB) Viewed 5666 times
hr1.jpg
hr1.jpg (288.07 KiB) Viewed 5666 times

shawngibson

Re: Hydra revisited

#2 Post by shawngibson » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:57 am

ps I didn't clean these up at all. Trying to learn technique right now, not so interested in the finer details.

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:58 am

Nice to see close ups. 100x has scary working distance!

So what was the problem with the P.A.C.O. that you had to grind it? It looks like a simple foolproof design.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

shawngibson

#4 Post by shawngibson » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:08 am

It's a great design (would be better if the filters moved freely and didn't get stuck). But it didn't fit into my filter holder. I'm gonna have a a lot of fun with light with this thing! But after grinding, I've got maybe 1mm to move the condenser up or down. And 40x and 100x require me to push down on the stage with a standard slide, then wait for the system to stabilize. Then take a pic, then wait while hoping it stabilizes. In other words, everything is touching. And usually it doesn't stabilize.

I'd like to figure out how to remove my light source while not killing the PC board. I can make a shorter, stronger, independent light source in my sleep...but I can't do the electronics to remove this light from the PC board.

Shawn

shawngibson

#5 Post by shawngibson » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:09 am

Problem was the bottom bolts, they hit my light. Not the designer's fault.

Naphthalene

#6 Post by Naphthalene » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:06 pm

Great images, shawngibson,
All look cool, but I especially like the last one. What technique was used for producing it? Is it an inverted ("negative") image of the original color ?

Mintaka

#7 Post by Mintaka » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:19 pm

Wow, very nice! And I like the little hydrlet budding off.

shawngibson

#8 Post by shawngibson » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:24 pm

Hi Naphtalene and Mintaka, thanks:)

The last one is a duplicate of the one beside it, with the following layer added in Photoshop: Color Lookup>Color Negative

Et voila! Simple:)

Shawn

JimT

#9 Post by JimT » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:31 pm

I think they are all pretty good. Is number three with a stain?

shawngibson

#10 Post by shawngibson » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:08 pm

Hi Jim, apparently not:
charlie g wrote:I don't want to read too much into the hydras coloration on your slide Shawn...but Chlorohydra veridisimus ( I can't spell, sorry) is that beautiful 'Cambridge Green' color due it's symbiotic chlorella algae guests.
Shawn

charlie g

#11 Post by charlie g » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:25 am

Congradulations Shawn...yes, yes...those top two high mag images of this hydras tentacles...indeed show a variety of cell types...and in good focus....yes, yes! The cells with those little 'arrow heads'/ little triangles are the un-triggered nematocyst harpoon +chord...these are the triggered 'stun and capture units of this fresh water colenterate...bravo!

Please find time for simple 'google search' of: hydra anatomy...ten minutes...you will drink up how good this prepared hydra slide of your's is.

Nematocyst cells are such a marvel of one cells specialization...folks spent careers learning from how so much intricate developement could be 'cramed in to a starter cell to 'specialize to
this level of complexity'.

Only because you achieved this level of high mag image capture of these complex cells of hydra...pretty please 'google' hydra anatomy...in ten minutes you will see that your image capture/ your prepared hydra slide is an elegant microscopy experience...thank you Shawn! charlie guevara/ finger lakes,US

shawngibson

#12 Post by shawngibson » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:58 am

Thank you so much, Charlie:)

I'm fascinated with hydra and tardigrades, truly strong species. I must admit, the reason I started microscopy a couple of months ago was to compare bilateral vs. non-bilateral symmetry; protostome vs. deuterstome development; and early embryonic development across phyla (evo-devo). I also want to look at convergence in a microscope.

These goals, I'm quickly learning, will require much knowledge, time, and patience to see in a microscope.

ps I photographed another hydra tonight, 4 parts; hopefully I can process it this evening and share.

ps 2: I'm very interested in comparing chordate and ecdysozoa development from conception to adulthood.

Shawn

charlie g

#13 Post by charlie g » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:16 am

Ahhh yes yes to your thought path, Shawn...it's late for me to still have my...err...my seat on my computer chair seat..but the concept of organisms which 'shed their outter skins in growth'...this is prompting profound revisit of our dear globes 'phylogenic family tree'! Other profoundly basic concept is: 'metamerism'...repeat body units...but it's too dark with my northeastern globe residence...good night, Shawn...thank you Shawn for terrific forum shareing! charlie guevara

shawngibson

#14 Post by shawngibson » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:31 am

Yes sir, molting is a huge problem for us right now! I hope I'm alive when velvet worms and tardigrades are formally introduced into the clade. I am not a scientist, but I look very hard at the phylum level of things. I want to see the changes.

Ediacaran>Cambrian>"modern".

But before that, Cryogenic Earth. Bacteria+Archaea=endosymbotic life=Eukaryotes. Not once, but twice!

edit: I'd like to talk about Hox genes, but I'm not a scientist. Search Hox genes anyone who wonders why we are all so similar.

Shawn