Huge Foraminifera Pseudopodial Net

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
macnmotion

Huge Foraminifera Pseudopodial Net

#1 Post by macnmotion » Fri May 26, 2023 5:00 am

This enormous Foraminifera pseudopodial net was found in my freshwater sample from southern Thailand. Just amazing that this comes from a single-cell organism.

First is a wide angle shot moving around the entire network, followed by a couple of short clips close-up. Shot in phase contrast.

WWWW

Re: Huge Foraminifera Pseudopodial Net

#2 Post by WWWW » Fri May 26, 2023 5:29 am

Wow, very special, never seen anything like it.
it must have taken some time for the network to be built up.
You wonder how the movements are controlled.

macnmotion

Re: Huge Foraminifera Pseudopodial Net

#3 Post by macnmotion » Fri May 26, 2023 6:51 am

I'm so amazed at the size of the pseudopodial net that can be created by a one-cell organism. Just amazing. I began observing at the opposite end of the slide, so it was perhaps 15 minutes before I found this. Either it was able to create it in 15 minutes, or my eyedropper was able to bring over the net and organism intact. I just don't know. I've got much longer videos at higher resolution, and you're right it is fascinating to watch the net move and change. How? Why? Just amazing. I've come across some pretty large networks before but this by far is the largest and most intricate. I realize now it might have been possible to rinse off the detritus with an eyedropper and perhaps have the Foraminifera remain attached to the glass, which could have been a much cleaner photo op. Next time.