Powers of 10: Cambridge Silicon Radio BC5

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Andy Resnick

Powers of 10: Cambridge Silicon Radio BC5

#1 Post by Andy Resnick » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:52 pm

This series took a little longer than usual; I hope to generate a video from these, so making sure all the images are good enough took a few days longer than usual. As it happens, there's a second easter egg hidden inside an easter egg... prepare to be amazed!

This series zooms in on one of my favorite examples, a CSR BC5 chip taken from a Blackberry. Starting at 1:1 reproduction:
1.jpg
1.jpg (230.76 KiB) Viewed 793 times
And then using the Luminar Zoom (oblique reflected illumination using a ring light)
2.jpg
2.jpg (288.42 KiB) Viewed 793 times
Continuing with a 4x Epiplan POL, coaxial incident light:
3.jpg
3.jpg (279.72 KiB) Viewed 793 times
What's that in the upper right corner?

And then using a 16x Epiplan POL with INKO (epi-DIC illumination):
4.jpg
4.jpg (358.27 KiB) Viewed 793 times
Ok, that's hilarious. A quick aside (16x again, but not epi-DIC) showing the part number:
a.jpg
a.jpg (159.66 KiB) Viewed 793 times
Ok, now the Elvis portrait makes sense...

Andy Resnick

Re: Powers of 10: Cambridge Silicon Radio BC5

#2 Post by Andy Resnick » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:54 pm

Continuing on...

And now back to 'the King of Rock & Roll', this time at 40x (Leica HC PL APO), image stacking (Picolay) to get everything in focus:
5.jpg
5.jpg (196.45 KiB) Viewed 792 times
Another quick aside(s): Remember poor ol' Barney from the BC4? He's back:
b.jpg
b.jpg (217.93 KiB) Viewed 792 times
And, what's this 'other' easter egg? Well, as I was trying out different illumination schemes to see what worked best, I wondered about trying epi-darkfield. Using a 40x Epiplan-HD lens:
c.jpg
c.jpg (320.1 KiB) Viewed 792 times
His belt buckle! I had no idea. And is that a faint twinkle in his eye?

Now, I tried to image this at higher magnification using a 100x/1.25 Epiplan-HD, but for whatever reason it was a total fail. It's a tricky lens that I haven't fully mastered, so I may re-visit this particular feature when I am more confident. Anyhow.. moving on to a 100x/1.47, I had to stitch together several images (16) to fit it all in:
6.jpg
6.jpg (211.06 KiB) Viewed 792 times
And now I just 'digitally zoom' the rest of the way...
8.jpg
8.jpg (96.15 KiB) Viewed 792 times

Argh... my sensor is filthy! I tried cleaning it with those sensor swabs that look like spongy squeegees, but no real improvement. What do y'all do to clean your camera sensors?

josmann

#3 Post by josmann » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:19 pm

Very cool!

Regarding sensor cleaning - there's a trick that a lot of folks use that I've done with good success. What you do is go into your bathroom, turn the shower on full blast with hot water and close the door. Let it get nice and steamy, then go back in, turn off the water, then close the door again and wait for the room to cool down. The water vapor will condense on dust particles and drag them out of the air - you've created a temporary low particulate space.

Then clean the sensor in the bathroom. You want to buy individually wrapped sensor cleaning swabs sized for your sensor as well as sensor cleaning fluid. Put just a couple drops on the swab - less is more. Start on one side of the sensor and swipe across applying moderate pressure. You can then flip the swab over and swipe again with the unused side. After that, throw away the swab. This takes time - I often have to do a cleaning round, take the camera out to check the flat field, and then go back in until I'm happy with the results. I've gone through 10 swabs in one session before.

Keep in mind that perfect is the enemy of good - if you have one or two specks, just use editing software to heal them.

Cheers,
Jason
The highest quality live-streamed microscopy in the world.
Sundays around 8PST: https://www.youtube.com/@diettoms/streams
Occasionally (for now): https://www.twitch.tv/diettoms

Join the Discord: https://discord.gg/FgpUUnJaSE

Andy Resnick

#4 Post by Andy Resnick » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:28 pm

Postscript: technical information. Except for the ‘digitally zoomed’, all images shown are full frame 35mm format, camera-generated JPG files. Unless indicated, minimal post-processing (rotating, normalizing).

Image 1) “Normal photography”: 35mm format camera sensor (Nikon D810) and lens (55mm Micro Nikkor + 35mm extension, close focus). Oblique reflected light (Dual-gooseneck halogen ).
Image 2) Camera sensor and Zeiss Ultraphot III/b (macrophotography configuration) + Zeiss Luminar zoom lens. Oblique reflected light (Halogen ring light).
Image 3)Camera sensor and Zeiss Ultraphot III/b (microphotography configuration) + Zeiss 4x/0.1 Epiplan POL objective. Epi-illuminated (Ultraphot 100W Halogen lamp).
Image 4) Camera sensor and Zeiss Ultraphot III/b (microphotography configuration) + Zeiss 16x/0.35 Epiplan POL objective + INKO prism and crossed polars. Epi-DIC illumination (Ultraphot 100W Halogen lamp).
Image 5) Camera sensor and Zeiss Ultraphot III/b (macrophotography configuration) + Leica 40x/1.3 HC PL APO objective. Epi-illuminated (Ultraphot 250W MH arc lamp). Focus stacking (Picolay) was based on a stack of 7 frames.
Image 6) Camera sensor and Zeiss Ultraphot III/b (macrophotography configuration) + Leica 100x/1.3 HC PL APO objective. Epi-illuminated (Ultraphot 100W Halogen lamp). 15 frames (single object plane) were acquired and stitched using Hugin.
Image a) Camera sensor and Zeiss Ultraphot III/b (microphotography configuration) + Zeiss 16x/0.35 Epiplan POL objective. Epi-illuminated (Ultraphot 100W Halogen lamp).
Image b) Camera sensor and Zeiss Ultraphot III/b (macrophotography configuration) + Leica 40x/1.3 HC PL APO objective. Epi-illuminated (Ultraphot 250W MH arc lamp). Focus stacking (Picolay) was based on a stack of 10 frames.
Image c) Camera sensor and Zeiss Ultraphot III/b (microphotography configuration) + Zeiss 40x/0.85 Epiplan-HD objective. Epi-darkfield illumination (Ultraphot 250W MH arc lamp)

Andy Resnick

#5 Post by Andy Resnick » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:29 pm

josmann wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:19 pm
Very cool!

Regarding sensor cleaning - there's a trick that a lot of folks use that I've done with good success. [...]

Cheers,
Jason
Thanks for the kind words and great suggestion!

apochronaut

#6 Post by apochronaut » Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:56 am

And I thought the 10 micron snowman was amazing. https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... php?t=4327
Would this be common knowledge?

Andy Resnick

#7 Post by Andy Resnick » Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:07 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:56 am
And I thought the 10 micron snowman was amazing. https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... php?t=4327
Would this be common knowledge?
Heh... that's a cool trick. Here's another ('Nanoputians' or "Nanokids'):

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/jo0349227

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:39 am

Now I know for sure who is stealing those tiny screws I can't find when I drop them. They are rolling them away in teams!