Crude media/ undefined media for protozoa culture, we all can enjoy!

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
charlie g

Crude media/ undefined media for protozoa culture, we all can enjoy!

#1 Post by charlie g » Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:56 am

Hi, all, please enjoy my microscopy activity ( from time to time) of compounding crude/ undefined media for use with protozoa, or algae species.

Anyone whom gardens often notes: 'companion plants bolster growth of desired plants'...something about interactions of neighbor organisms ...helps a desired species/ 'crop' to thrive. Crude/undefined but repeatable media are a step less than actual living organisms cultured together.

Consider collecting numbers of same species of insects' to compound a crude media ...combined with basic commercial 'plant food' ...pressure cook this stock media to sterilize it...keep a few small vials of this crude/undefined media in your freezer. Use this stock media in small amounts ,mixed with bottled water...when you have a target organism, or snipet of a community to enjoy the culture process with. Of course the intense heat to sterilize the crude media, surely destroys a number of heat-sensitive growth factors..siggh.

A few years ago I made time ( tedious, thankless work) to early in growth season smack Japanese beetles off my grape vines...I collected quite a number in a wide mouth plastic jar.

I placed a few freshly crushed/dead beetles by a variety of ant mounds...ants would drag the beetle into their chambers...alas a day latter this beetle corpse rejected/ removed to outside the ant entrance mound.

When I placed crushed 'grass hoppers' by ant mounds..the ants kept this organism to feast upon in their chambers...enchanting bioselection by my neighbor ant colonies.

On a whim..as I collected so many Japanese beetles ...I kept this crude stock with simple commercial 'plant food' as a stock for protozoa culture. I pressure cooked screw top vials of this undefined media , left them in a jar in the freezer.

I totally thank late St.Johns U/NYC professor Dr. Daniel M. Lilly for kindly meeting with me as a 1968 high school student , and with a grad. student showing me their protozoan- nutritional lab, and coaching me on their protozoan nutrition research.

This year I explored with my crude/undefined media...culture of: 1) emerged cicada shed husks ( these organisms have been underground for years..I fancy some organisms attach to these cicada locusts under ground ..for their own life cycles...

Just a dream..but I enjoy 'microscopy world views'..go figure.
Attachments
141.JPG
141.JPG (139.12 KiB) Viewed 972 times
138.JPG
138.JPG (140.74 KiB) Viewed 972 times
136.JPG
136.JPG (134.97 KiB) Viewed 972 times

charlie g

Re: Crude media/ undefined media for protozoa culture, we all can enjoy!

#2 Post by charlie g » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:34 pm

I also collected milkweed seed ( still fluffing out of an exploded milkweed pod), to see if a few seeds would germinate in my crude culture media.

The milkweed seed plate grew no evident protozoa, but an enriched near monoculture of a specific bacteria.
Attachments
147.JPG
147.JPG (100.89 KiB) Viewed 919 times
145.JPG
145.JPG (88.29 KiB) Viewed 919 times
133.JPG
133.JPG (170.52 KiB) Viewed 919 times

charlie g

#3 Post by charlie g » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:52 pm

On 10/24/23 I sampled both cultures..cicada shell plate, and milkweed seed plate. These plates were both given a ten hour light cycle under a sheet of paper toweling.

They each displayed a near monoculture of bacteria , each plate a different size of bacteria. The cicada shell ( years underground in soils by plant roots) also had an enriched population of one distinct type of ciliate, and another less plentiful ciliate.
Attachments
047.JPG
047.JPG (49.79 KiB) Viewed 917 times
053.JPG
053.JPG (48.56 KiB) Viewed 917 times
135.JPG
135.JPG (128.15 KiB) Viewed 917 times
134.JPG
134.JPG (125.35 KiB) Viewed 917 times

charlie g

#4 Post by charlie g » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:01 pm

I note that the cicada emerged from the soils perhaps in August, so that cicada shell sat through many rains, many days of sunshine, before I collected it 9/24/23.

Consider making crude/undefined ( but from same insect source each time) media to enjoy microscopy with.

charlie guevara, finger lakes/US
Attachments
036.JPG
036.JPG (44.81 KiB) Viewed 914 times
039.JPG
039.JPG (45.54 KiB) Viewed 914 times
042.JPG
042.JPG (49.15 KiB) Viewed 914 times

Dennis

#5 Post by Dennis » Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:28 pm

Charlie G,

Good stuff. You're the one with that dog. Right?

charlie g

#6 Post by charlie g » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:33 pm

Hi, Denis, thanks for visiting my post. Yup, good doggie and I often partner on open space, microscopy collection hikes.

When we resided in Ridgewood/Bergen county, NJ....most of our microscopy collection hikes were north of us in: NJ highlands/ and NY Hariman, NY state park.

I miss all the great foods on NJ/ NYC hinterlands...up here we have terrific foods from Ithica/NY.

all the best, charlie g.

charlie g

#7 Post by charlie g » Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:45 pm

Hi, Denis, thanks for visiting my post. Yup, good doggie and I often partner on open space, microscopy collection hikes.

When we resided in Ridgewood/Bergen county, NJ....most of our microscopy collection hikes were north of us in: NJ highlands/ and NY Hariman, NY state park.

I miss all the great foods on NJ/ NYC hinterlands...up here we have terrific foods from Ithica/NY.

all the best, charlie g.