Nature's Poor Quality Control Standard

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
DonSchaeffer

Nature's Poor Quality Control Standard

#1 Post by DonSchaeffer » Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:38 pm

Fibers Bound Together in a Root --
As a human being with a bias toward mechanics I can only judge harshly nature's sloppy manufacturing techniques. If I were the supervisor I would want nature to straighten up the shapes of the fibers and make them more reproduceable. Nature is an analog, rather than a digital manufacturer and it shows in the variability of its products--sloppy workmanship.

https://youtu.be/IKRBWcwnO2E

PeteM

Re: Nature's Poor Quality Control Standard

#2 Post by PeteM » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:03 pm

Sloppy workmanship? Perhaps yes and no, Don. One can look at US partisanship and poor decision-making to decide that we humans may not pass even One Sigma quality standards, much less the Six Sigma manufacturing often strives for.

However, as a matter of structural design, nature has evolved clever strategies. Nature invented elements out of stardust, crystals, nano-particles, and composite materials.

Its proteins assemble themselves in tiny turbines spinning at 7,800 rpm for ATP (bio-energy) transport. Will an internal combustion engine last 80 years, if run at 7,800 rpm 24/7?

ATP is itself the ultimate renewable energy. A mouse (ultimately solar-powered for food production and consumption) has about as much energy capacity as a modern Li-Ion battery (18650 sized) weighing about the same as a mouse. The battery might last 200 daily recharges before becoming old, weak, and dying. The mouse is typically good for around 500 and manages to recharge itself.

Growth is a wonder of structural parsimony - nature's structures grow larger only as needed. Tiny for babies. Massive for NFL linemen and Sumo wrestlers. Imagine if our highways and other structures grew naturally wider or stronger as traffic and other demands increased.

Discontinuities can prevent a fracture from spreading. The miracle of duct tape, for example, tears somewhat easily in two directions because its structural fibers are lined up in straight patterns. Leather (skin), with a somewhat more random organization of cells, manages to securely package up everything from raccoons to crocodiles and elephants - and repairs itself if needed.

Should something like a bridge or a building be repeatedly stressed (fatigue failures) or over-stressed it will collapse. A tree, on the other hand, can respond to increasing stresses (wind, added weight) and actually grow itself some extra structure. Naturally, trees will still collapse if given a sudden overload. But, then they just make a copy of themselves to fill the space left clear. No engineering design and building permit required.

No one's mother is perfect. But Mother Nature deserves at least some awe and respect for getting us to our present spectacular yet perilous state of affairs.

Dennis

#3 Post by Dennis » Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:24 pm

Don,
God doesn't have to make every single thing have pretty shapes to please you who are so small in your mind.
Appreciate all the pretty "shapes" you see and pretty colors etc. heck of a lot better than I could ever come up with!

DonSchaeffer

#4 Post by DonSchaeffer » Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:38 pm

I know that and agree. It's the stylistic differences that interest me. Human stuff is so neat and clean. Thanks for adding that important proviso to the conversation.