Adding Fresh Nutrients

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
DonSchaeffer

Adding Fresh Nutrients

#1 Post by DonSchaeffer » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:29 pm

Adding fresh nutrient to an established biome really increasing biological activity. The previous microbe colony was till active but nutrients were being consumed and running out. I added some sugary carrot and some leaves from another biome with the result activity quickly picked up. The actual variety of organisms did not appear to change, however.

https://youtu.be/YC-sgr_WttE

Dennis

Re: Adding Fresh Nutrients

#2 Post by Dennis » Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:55 pm

Don,
All those critters and you're throwing out fresh feed.

ddy5

#3 Post by ddy5 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:34 pm

Wow - that's an impressive result! How long did it take to get that density of creatures?

For a non-vegetarian option, I've tried a few tiny pieces of raw chicken or even some of the juice from the raw chicken container - but not too much or it will get smelly.

The results vary widely, apparently depending on what species were there to start with. In some, I've had simultaneous blooms of 4-6 species. In others cases, one species takes over. Sometimes, there will be a succession of dominant species over time.

DonSchaeffer

#4 Post by DonSchaeffer » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:48 pm

I've never used animal products. I think I'm afraid of infection. I don't think it makes much difference to the microbes where the proteins come from. It just takes time for the biofilm to develop.