Everything looks better in slow motion

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Topcode

Everything looks better in slow motion

#1 Post by Topcode » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:52 am

I found this in a sample of water, mixed with pollen, which I let sit out for like a week. I then took a sample of pollen biofilm type thing, and put it on a slide. The results were worth it.

No clue what this little guy is, BUT, I know that like everything, slow mo makes it better.

So without further ado, slow motion, of the cilia.

although, I think my ssd may have caused frameskipping, because it literally filled up in the middle of this and i need to deal with the 100 gb of microscopy footage on it somehow.

Anyways, on a side note, does anyone know what this ciliate is?

MichaelG.

Re: Everything looks better in slow motion

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:33 am

This is very impressive
… Keep up the good work

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Free2Fish

#3 Post by Free2Fish » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:05 am

Very nice, enjoy these little clips. No idea what that is beyond saying it’s some type of peritrich. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can offer more.
Keep them coming.
Harry

bkt

#4 Post by bkt » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 pm

Hi,

I noticed no more motion can be interesting also. Hawing looked at a live one, I was surprised by how it looked like after my slide ended drying up, by the length of cilias.

I may be wrong, other are welcome to comment, but usually, they seem to be described as being short. Here you see the difference of cilias length, of the same protozoa, my camera/video/setup not being able to catch the details at such high speeds:

Chas

#5 Post by Chas » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:42 am

That is very nice slow motion:-)
I would like to be able to do the same sort of thing.
Does the camera's letterbox view get taller when the frame rate is dropped ?

Topcode

#6 Post by Topcode » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:45 am

More or less, tho the inverse is probably more accurate, as it gets larger, approaching 100% of the sensor, the fps gets lower.

MichaelG.

#7 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:16 am

bkt wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 pm
Hi,

[…] but usually, they seem to be described as being short. Here you see the difference of cilias length, of the same protozoa, my camera/video/setup not being able to catch the details at such high speeds:
[…]
You make a very good point … but perhaps that ‘short’ description reveals that most previous observers have seen less detail than you have.
The motion of individual cilia is, I believe, rather like a whip-crack and therefore exceedingly difficult to image.
… I think you are already doing better than most !!

MichaelG.

Edit: _ there is an excellent sketch on this page:
https://www.sciencefacts.net/cilia-and-flagella.html
Too many 'projects'

MichaelG.

#8 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:42 am

Please forgive the slight digression, but this paper is rather impressive:
https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/A ... b8209407e2

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

bkt

#9 Post by bkt » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:15 pm

MichaelG. wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:16 am
You make a very good point … but perhaps that ‘short’ description reveals that most previous observers have seen less detail than you have.
The motion of individual cilia is, I believe, rather like a whip-crack and therefore exceedingly difficult to image.
… I think you are already doing better than most !!
I was just lucky, it died (no more oxygen) in that position, showing me its cilias, at the border / outside of some remaining water. I was lucky and it was because I'm often looking at drying or even dried slides also.

This was at 60x, were I have not much resolution, neither can I do a lot with oblique illumination here. So it should be complex to deliberately concentrate on thin cilias in common wet and live conditions.

I think cilias and flagellas movements are fast to very fast, so we mainly see their bases in normal observation conditions And in common representations, they are by the way all described as short, which could be their bases only?

Vorticellas are also fast, much bigger, more easy to observe, but they could need up to costly 1400FPS cameras to catch the details when they quickly retract...
MichaelG. wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:16 am
Edit: _ there is an excellent sketch on this page:
https://www.sciencefacts.net/cilia-and-flagella.html
There we can read flagellas have a passive part/base. If they are thin and fast, we probably won't see most of them, unless their bases.

Free2Fish

#10 Post by Free2Fish » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:12 pm

On the subject of cilia, I was lucky enough to capture these cilia, top left of the ciliate, in their "return" phase.

I'm guessing this image was taken at 1/100 or 1/80 sec.

Harry

MichaelG.

#11 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:49 pm

Nice !

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

bkt

#12 Post by bkt » Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:22 pm

Free2Fish wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:12 pm
On the subject of cilia, I was lucky enough to capture these cilia, top left of the ciliate, in their "return" phase.

I'm guessing this image was taken at 1/100 or 1/80 sec.

Harry
That is a nice and interesting shot. On the right, cilias seem a bit blurry, less defined, I see two options for this:
- either those were a bit out of focus, out of depth of field
- or the speed of 1/100 or 1/80 was too slow to freeze their movements, movements causing blur, this being the advantage of sensitive and fast cameras

Using a camera like a DSLR, one may increase ISOs to reach lower exposure times. If possible (may add numerical noise), doubling ISOs allows to divide exposure time by two, thus freezing more the movements.

Free2Fish

#13 Post by Free2Fish » Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:56 pm

Thanks for the comments, bkt. I’ve got a flash adapter on the way to me that should help with many of my challenges.

Harry