Probiotics!

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Pat Thielen

Probiotics!

#1 Post by Pat Thielen » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:37 pm

Greetings everyone! It's been awhile since I last posted but I must admit its been a tad busy of late. Anyway, here are a few photos I took of bacteria from a 42 billion count probiotic pill. I was very surprised to discover that the bacteria are contained in microscopic capsules that seem to slowly dissolve over time; I suspect this is to allow a much slower release of the beneficial bacteria that if you were to just eat a capsule containing them. These were all taken using bright field-illumination. I tried dark field and phase contrast but those methods didn't work out so well. I thought these were rather interesting.
Attachments
Probiotic bacteria and containers at 200x
Probiotic bacteria and containers at 200x
micro0013565_temp.jpg (368.53 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
Probiotic bacteria and containers at 400x. There is a different type of container in this photo; I'm not sure what the difference is between it and the seemingly more normal oval-shaped ones.
Probiotic bacteria and containers at 400x. There is a different type of container in this photo; I'm not sure what the difference is between it and the seemingly more normal oval-shaped ones.
micro0013549.jpg (424.75 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
Probiotic bacteria and containers at 400x. You can see where one of the containers has opened.
Probiotic bacteria and containers at 400x. You can see where one of the containers has opened.
micro0013547_temp.jpg (444.69 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

zzffnn

Re: Probiotics!

#2 Post by zzffnn » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:53 pm

Pat,

For darkfield and phase to work well, you would have to first filter out those carrier particles with something like lady's tights.

Pat Thielen

#3 Post by Pat Thielen » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:03 pm

Here is a video I took of the bacteria. I'm still learning how to properly edit and save video; the original is of much higher video quality but is far too large to upload. So, this is the compromise version. Eventually I hope to find a balance between video size and quality. There always seems to be a learning curve!

Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

gekko

#4 Post by gekko » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:19 am

Very interesting. Your video is much more revealing at this magnification.

apochronaut

#5 Post by apochronaut » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:16 pm

probably, the idea is to get the micro capsules past the acid barrier of the stomach into the duodenum and intestines, where they can prosper better.

Pat Thielen

#6 Post by Pat Thielen » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:24 pm

apochronaut wrote:probably, the idea is to get the micro capsules past the acid barrier of the stomach into the duodenum and intestines, where they can prosper better.

It does make sense -- I just had no idea they worked that way. I had assumed the capsule you ate would travel through the stomach to the intestines where it would open up and release the bacteria. The millions of micro-capsules I find to be very interesting, and I have to wonder how they make something like that. So, for me it was an interesting discovery and it only led to more questions. I think that's how its supposed to work. :)
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

einman

#7 Post by einman » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:20 pm

Back when I was involved in such processes we referred to it as "enrobing" . As Apo indicated it is an attempt to reduce the bacteria's exposure to stomach acid. Although more recent studies would indicate the bacteria can withstand much lower pH's for much longer periods of time than was originally believed.

Pat Thielen

#8 Post by Pat Thielen » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:30 pm

einman wrote:Back when I was involved in such processes we referred to it as "enrobing" . As Apo indicated it is an attempt to reduce the bacteria's exposure to stomach acid. Although more recent studies would indicate the bacteria can withstand much lower pH's for much longer periods of time than was originally believed.
I think this is fascinating -- I wonder what the actual process is for micro-enrobing bacteria -- How do you get the little guys in the micro-capsules? Obviously there are people far more knowledgeable about this than I am, but for me it is a very interesting discovery (even though I really didn't discover anything).

:D
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

EYE C U

#9 Post by EYE C U » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:04 am

so did you use water or spit?