Colourful screw thread. Some more...

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
billben74

Colourful screw thread. Some more...

#1 Post by billben74 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:28 pm

So it started out with thinking about metal patinas and thinking about taking photos of metals.
Sort of followed on from the pearlescent shells -> thinking of different brightly coloured things...
Then I came across this bronze (? brass) screw that looked really very colourful.

It also is a great subject for my new x2 Plan na 0.05 objective (this was my second attempt at getting one these: second time lucky)
Obviously, epi lighting.

Last edited by billben74 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JimT

Re: Colourful screw thread

#2 Post by JimT » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:18 pm

Neat. Would be interesting to progress to higher magnifications (to the extent possible) to watch the pits etc. grow.

JimT

billbillt

#3 Post by billbillt » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:47 pm

Threads on common bolts are generally rolled on.. They are only cut when some kind of precision is required.. The most precise thread generation is done on thread grinders.. High precision gauges sent to the National Bureau of Standards for calibration and certification are ground.. The "brass" color comes from cadmium plating.. A very common practice worldwide..

BillT

rnabholz

#4 Post by rnabholz » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:27 am

Well now, you don't see that everyday. Is this stacked? Nice depth of focus.

Interesting, Thanks

Rod

billben74

#5 Post by billben74 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:55 pm

Thanks for your kind words and interest.

I was in hurry finishing this one off.
I made 6 stacks each about 15 images to make the stitch.
I've only just noticed the stitching error in the original but after only using 4 of the stacks I have a slightly improved version.

I have some higher mag/resolution photos which will probably post at some point if i get a chance....

billben74

#6 Post by billben74 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:19 pm

OK so here are some close ups.

This is done with my exciting new purchase a x4 Plan Fluor NA 0.13 from amscope http://www.amscope.com/accessories/obje ... -lens.html

I wish I could get such objectives straight from china as there are import taxes (which is compounded by brokerage fees) from/to USA/Europe (no tax from goods from China) but I haven't found a source of these...yet.
At some point I'll try to comparison with my x4 Plan na 0.1.

Its not quite parfocal with my other ones, but pretty close. I may try to get some shims. It wont take much.

Anyway in a previous post I talked about DMAP vs PMAX in zerine stacker and mentioned that the word was the PMAX is better for detail and DMAP better for colours.
PMAX is also pants for shiney things. (Although its by far the one I use most often).
Shown vertically as for some reason the depth looks better this way.
Very minor level adjustments and sharpening in GIMP
PMAX:

DMAP, threshold 90%. I did a tiny bit of retouching on this one to just get one tiny section in better focus.

billben74

Re: Colourful screw thread. Some more...

#7 Post by billben74 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:03 am

And one more with the x4 Plan Fluor na 0.13.
I've slightly missed the focus througout - a mistake - but perhaps it doesn't totally blw the image.
I like this screw. :)