Tapeworm! This time attempting oblique lighting

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
Pat Thielen

Tapeworm! This time attempting oblique lighting

#1 Post by Pat Thielen » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:57 pm

Hello everyone! Through the forums I came across a technique that people refer to as oblique lighting. So, I asked about it and thought I'd give it a whirl. So, this is my first attempt. I thought the tapeworm slide from Triarch Inc. would be a good specimen as I wanted to work with something a bit larger to see what effect I could achieve. This is a 12 image stack of a dog tapeworm. As always, let me know what you think and how I might improve my technique.

The technical details are actually rather simple. I was using a 10x plan phase-contrast objective with the P1 position on the phase-contrast turret in place. I then slowly turned it towards the P2 position and found a spot that seemed to give a slightly 3D effect. One major problem I came across was the right side of the image was underexposed by (I'm guessing) one stop. There is a very small area where you can turn the phase-contrast turret to give this effect without a great deal of light flare. Perhaps some of you have encountered this as well and may have some advice to help me improve.

Thanks much!
Attachments
Plan 10x / 0.25, 12 image focus stack, oblique lighting, Photoshop editing, Nikon d810 camera
Plan 10x / 0.25, 12 image focus stack, oblique lighting, Photoshop editing, Nikon d810 camera
micro0014252_12-image_stack.jpg (186.96 KiB) Viewed 2332 times
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

Crater Eddie

Re: Tapeworm! This time attempting oblique lighting

#2 Post by Crater Eddie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:38 pm

Nice oblique effect! About the uneven exposure effect, I get that too when using my LOMO oblique condenser.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

Pat Thielen

#3 Post by Pat Thielen » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:00 pm

Crater Eddie wrote:Nice oblique effect! About the uneven exposure effect, I get that too when using my LOMO oblique condenser.
CE

Do you have a work-around for the uneven exposure? I did some very heavy editing to this image to fix it but the uneven exposure was actually quite pronounced. Hopefully I'll get this all figured out!

:D
Pat Thielen
Motic BA310, C & A Scientific Premiere SMZ-07, Swift Eleven-Ninety, Swift FM-31, Bausch & Lomb VM349, Olympus CHA
Nikon d810

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:24 pm

I also use my Phase condenser to achieve oblique, I combine rotating the brightfield port with the condenser diaphragm setting.
Does not take much movement to get a good effect.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Pat Thielen

#5 Post by Pat Thielen » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:25 pm

75RR wrote:I also use my Phase condenser to achieve oblique, I combine rotating the brightfield port with the condenser diaphragm setting.

I'll give that a try next time. Thanks! Do you have trouble with uneven exposures?
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:26 pm

Do you have trouble with uneven exposures?
There is always some - comes with the territory.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Pat Thielen

#7 Post by Pat Thielen » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:40 pm

Are there subjects better suited for oblique lighting? Just curious.
Pat Thielen
Nikon d810