Pol Crystal Shots

Here you can post pictures and videos to show others.
MikeA

Pol Crystal Shots

#1 Post by MikeA » Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:55 pm

Hello All,

Still figuring out how to maneuver/manage with photos stored in another location - hoping this works better than my first several efforts! :o

For background, as mentioned in my earlier post, I have been away from microscopy for the last perhaps decade or so for various reasons but recently got the 'bug' and am working at getting back up to speed - amazing how much one forgets when well into one's seventh decade.

I have been a avid, some might say 'rabid', fan of Leitz Orthoplans for many years, and wrote a well-received little piece that was published in 'The Journal of the Microscope Historical Society', vol. 14, No.3, as well as Micscape - http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/art ... oplan.html and continue to be a big fan. Currently have four complete stands as well as too many parts/accessories, including one of the rarest a complete functional DIC after Nomarski that was manufactured for a very brief time by Leitz France; apparently the exclusive rights to market that system had been agreed with Zeiss so a 'cease & desist' was issued and only a few of these systems were ever sold.

At any rate - I enjoy all forms of microscopy and due to living in the ever-frozen NE Ohio, not looking at protozoa at the moment, but enjoying revisiting polarized crystals, with various retardation plates.

Here are a few I did this morning - CuSO4 solubilized in distilled water and air dried, Nikon Coolpix 5K with a Nikon MDC Relay lens.

I was using a Nikon D200 but not owning the requisite 1.67X relay all shots were too severely cropped. These are all as shot, no post processing or stacking and I am reasonably pleased with them. Decent sharpness and colors.

At any rate, would appreciate any critiques/suggestions.

All the best,
Mike
All the best,
Mike
'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum'

75RR

Re: Pol Crystal Shots

#2 Post by 75RR » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:01 pm

Hi MikeA - enjoyed the article you wrote - the Leitz Orthoplan is indeed a beautifully crafted machine.

Found this paragraph quite interesting:

By the mid 70s' Preiser catalog listing “The Orthoplan is supplied complete with quick change bayonet mounts for transmitted and/or incident light sources; carrier for mechanical stages or substages. Supplied without bodytube, eyepieces, nosepiece, condenser, objectives and illuminator which must be ordered separately - $4737.00” Fitted out with objectives, eyepieces, condensers and bodytube one could grab one for only $14,673.00, unless you wanted it fitted with Plan apos; then it would set one back $18,507.00! And that is mid-70s' dollars! Adjusted (roughly) for inflation that would equal ~$60,000 today!

Sending link to a very useful site called measuringworth.com - I dare say you will find the values it gives eye opening.

https://measuringworth.com/calculators/uscompare/

Those are interesting crystals - you might want to try stacking images, I find it enhances the photographs considerably.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

MikeA

#3 Post by MikeA » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:43 pm

Hello 75RR (!)

Thanks for the comments and the link. Yes, not many things we buy show such appreciation in value, and that does not take into consideration the 'value' we get from using such equipment. I see you have some very nice equipment as well - I always loved the Wild equipment - very typical Swiss with excellent fit and finish IMHO, and my close friend has Zeiss Universals; they are beautiful as well as functional. The Orthoplan would never win any beauty contests!

Glad to hear you are able to see the photos - not overly thrilled about having to use a third-party site for storage, but at least it is working... so far. :o

I have done stacking in the past, mostly with biological specimens, must admit to not enjoying making dozens of shots of the same subject with 1µ steps, then running them through a stacking program. Yes - the result is quite good but 'not my cup of tea.' Having said that, who knows what I might be doing tomorrow?

All the best,
Mike
All the best,
Mike
'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum'

desertrat

#4 Post by desertrat » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:12 pm

Very interesting images. I like the last one especially.
Rick

A/O 10 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Microstar
A/O 4 Series Phasestar
A/O 4 Series Apostar
A/O Cycloptic Stereo
Several old monocular scopes in more or less decrepit but usable condition

MikeA

#5 Post by MikeA » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:49 pm

Hello DesertRat,

Thanks for the input - yep, that one is actually one of potassium ferrocyanide, usually a real treat under pol illumination but since coming back from my 'hiatus' I have not been able to get the same crystal growth I did 12 - 14 years ago.

Here are a few from 'back then' -

No idea what the difference is, but rather frustrating trying to get similar crystal growth/colors.

All the best,
Mike
All the best,
Mike
'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum'

JimT

#6 Post by JimT » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:29 pm

...due to living in the ever-frozen NE Ohio.
Mike, I feel your pain. Some of us also live in the ever frozen Upstate New York.

Polarized crystals of various items are always enjoyable. It always amazes me how crystals can be so different. Yours are a good example and well done - especially with a retarder plate.

I recommend stacking even though it is "Not my cup of tea." As long as we are still "Ever frozen" we might as well enjoy post processing our images.

Also what objectives were used for the different images?

Looking forward to more of your posts and especially some biological specimens.

JimT

MikeA

#7 Post by MikeA » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:54 am

Hello Jim,

Thanks for the response - yes, you are getting hit rather hard this Spring and I guess there is more on the way. Woke up to 28° temps this AM - does not feel like Spring to me!

As mentioned, I have tried stacking in the past and agree it can give some amazing results, so might just give it another go. Just does not feel quite right - almost like cheating! Of course it is analogous to the things I used to do in the darkroom when I was 'into' photography many moons ago and all we had was silver halide technology, so guess it has always been acceptable to 'post process' the image.

Will likely start some aquaria if I can figure out where to put them, and of course the daylight lamp/pumps/filters/etc. - on second thought, might just go with a critter farm in the woods out back! :roll:

Thanks for the comments on the photos - I really enjoy looking at the crystals, as you mention, never-ending source for some great images. The ones I posted were done mostly with Leitz low power objectives, 3X up to 16x for the most part, mostly 5X and 10X.

Any ideas/methods you can suggest would be appreciated.
All the best,
Mike
'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum'

MikeA

#8 Post by MikeA » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:40 pm

Decided to give stacking another go - post processing of photographs has been used since the beginning!

Here are some shots I made this AM, stacked and modest adjustments using several programs:

All are CuSO4 solubilized in DI water, then allowed to air dry/crystallize at ambient temperature. Objective is Leitz 6.3X NPL (P), Leitz Orthoplan Microscope. Micrographs made with Nikon CP5K using a Nikon MDC relay lens on the trinocular port.

Any input/suggestions/feedback would be appreciated.
All the best,
Mike
'Nil Satis Nisi Optimum'