Microscopic joints and gluing

Write test posts here. This is the place to experiment with the forum. I may delete the contents from time to time.
Wkpsahl

Microscopic joints and gluing

#1 Post by Wkpsahl » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:52 am

I am working on a project that involves gluing 0.5/0.7mm mechanical pencil lead to one another like this artist does: https://mymodernmet.com/peter-trevelyan ... culptures/

I have figured out a way to suspend and position the pieces but I'm having difficulty with the glue. I have spent some time trying to figure out what glue the artist uses(he says super glue/CA). My problem is that it leaves a white residue, takes a while to dry and the joints aren't always strong/rigid enough. It's also difficult to see how he shapes his joints since there aren't any good images to zoom in on.

I'm wondering if any of you have seen any resources on glues for joints with minimal surfaces, microscopic gluing techniques, and micro joint design? Do you have any suggestions for better search terms for further research as well?(not sure if there is a whole field associated with this and I just don't know the right terms)

dtsh

Re: Microscopic joints and gluing

#2 Post by dtsh » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:08 am

The only thing I can add is that I have used accelerants with CA glue and they tend to resolve the set time issues, at least for me.

Greg Howald

#3 Post by Greg Howald » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:40 am

Take a look at specs for fletching glue. Fletching glue is used to attach feathers to arrows. Very strong stuff. Minimal usage. That might be an answer for you.
Greg

MicroBob

#4 Post by MicroBob » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:17 am

Hi,
there is a glue system based on CA glue that uses glass bubbles as a filler. It can be used to repair many things and keeps even motorcyle fairings together.
The mine are graphite and some polymer stuff so not good to glue generally.
The sculpture looks great!

Bob

Hobbyst46

#5 Post by Hobbyst46 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:18 am

For this type of connections as in the sculptures, superglue seems less appropriate than epoxy. I am not sure which is overall more practical slow- or fast-epoxy. Depends on the order and method of the construction. It is an engineering and art project. Just my opinion.

Wkpsahl

#6 Post by Wkpsahl » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:01 pm

Thank you all for your replies and insights!!

alanbannon

#7 Post by alanbannon » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:56 am

Superglue seems less appropriate than epoxy.

patta

#8 Post by patta » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:49 am

Superglue, when used in very small amount, dries fast and the white residues are negligible. If you can figure out how to put only a micro-droplet in the right place, it may work well. It should not form a blob around the joint, but only a thin layer between the contact surfaces. Veeery tiny for your pencil leads!
At the below link, they seem to wind around different formulations of CA.
https://forum.ghqmodels.com/viewtopic.p ... 93&p=78645

Greg Howald

#9 Post by Greg Howald » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:45 am

Super glue may be applied in minute quantity using an insulin syringe from the pharmacist. This method is one use only. When you are done with it you can not sufficiently clean the syringe.
Greg

MichaelG.

#10 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:30 am

My introduction to CA ‘SuperGlue’ was in the early 1970s when I worked at Kodak.
It was very new then, and they used it in tiny quantities to bond the lenses into place, in the little plastic cameras.
The dispensing equipment was the plumbed-in equivalent of Greg’s syringe, and the adhesive was very liquid.
Since then ‘SuperGlue’ has evolved into a whole family of products with different viscosities, etc. ... widely available, and quite bewildering when it comes to choice !

I would suggest downloading this guide from Henkel/Loctite:
https://dm.henkel-dam.com/is/content/he ... 8.08.12pdf

Then consider your chosen ‘Pencil Leads’ and try to discover what they are actually made from.

My guess is that that a low viscosity ‘instant’ adhesive, applied in tiny quantities will bond [some version of] mechanical pencil ‘leads’ quite successfully ... but there are many combinations to choose from !

MichaelG.

Edit: This type, from UHU, looks like a useful back-to-basics product for the consumer market
https://www.uhu.com/content/dam/boltona ... 581/50.pdf
Too many 'projects'