TEST

Write test posts here. This is the place to experiment with the forum. I may delete the contents from time to time.
gekko

TEST

#1 Post by gekko » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:00 pm

Trying a new image hosting site: please let me know if the insect image is NOT visible to you (it is visible to me). Many thanks!!

JimT

Re: TEST

#2 Post by JimT » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:31 am

Visible. What is it?

gekko

#3 Post by gekko » Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:36 am

JimT wrote:Visible. What is it?
Many thanks! A strange insect-- no idea what it is. I found it on the railing. I think there was another one that was caught by a spider's web. It is not as large as it appears in the picture (it is about the size of a wasp).

Manfred

#4 Post by Manfred » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:34 pm

Gekko,

also visible on the other side of earth - Europe / Austria :lol:
Nice image - spider?.
In Austria we have a similar specimen called "Wespenspinne"

Peter

#5 Post by Peter » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:01 pm

Hi Gekko,
You shouldn't be fooled by the six legs on this creature, it's a spider that's lost two legs. Second leg on its right, and first on left.
Peter.

gekko

#6 Post by gekko » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:48 pm

Manfred wrote:Gekko,
also visible on the other side of earth - Europe / Austria :lol:
Nice image - spider?.
In Austria we have a similar specimen called "Wespenspinne"
Thank you, Manfred. I'll check Wespenspinne out.
Peter wrote:Hi Gekko,
You shouldn't be fooled by the six legs on this creature, it's a spider that's lost two legs. Second leg on its right, and first on left.
Peter.
Many thanks, Peter: yes I was surely fooled by the six remaining legs :) .

Spiders and moths display such a variety of shapes and colors which I find so fascinating (if I only knew more about them :( .

Added later:
Wasp spider (Argiope bruennichi)). Thanks again to Manfred and Peter.

Rodney

#7 Post by Rodney » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:56 am

Looks like a species of garden spider we have in Georgia. Nice clear picture. I notice the picture file size is limited to 500kb for this forum, 95 percent of my photo`s are larger than this and are in the 1 mb are larger size so they get kicked out. I have a nice spider photo somewhere but the size is at least 2 mb I think.

Crater Eddie

#8 Post by Crater Eddie » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:51 pm

Rodney, that's why most of us use links to external file hosting sites.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

gekko

#9 Post by gekko » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:22 pm

Rodney wrote:Looks like a species of garden spider we have in Georgia. Nice clear picture. I notice the picture file size is limited to 500kb for this forum, 95 percent of my photo`s are larger than this and are in the 1 mb are larger size so they get kicked out. I have a nice spider photo somewhere but the size is at least 2 mb I think.
Hi Rodney, I think CE's suggestion is an excellent one, and there are a number of free image hosting sites to choose from. In any case, if you still wish to upload directly to the forum, you will need to reduce the size of the image. You can use any image editing program you have. If you don't use one, you can download Picasa (free). It is easy to use, and is adequate for basic image editing, and you can reduce the size of your images. For what it is worth, I reduce all my images that I upload to the hosting site and paste the link in the forum. I downsize them to 800 or 900 pixels wide. I hope this helps.