Google Photos Link Test

Write test posts here. This is the place to experiment with the forum. I may delete the contents from time to time.
Dave S

Google Photos Link Test

#1 Post by Dave S » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:23 pm

Google Photos Test Link

Last edited by Dave S on Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Suffolk, UK

Dave S

Re: Google Photos Link Test

#2 Post by Dave S » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:29 pm

Hmm??

Doesn't work when the shared link is enclosed within the [img] markers.

But is does work if posted as below, that is as a link not enclosed between the [img] markers, but you have to go 'off site' to view the image.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/XQ9Lo2ZGwzBEapTt6
Last edited by Dave S on Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suffolk, UK

Dave S

#3 Post by Dave S » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:30 pm

The same as above, if posted using the markers [url]https://photos.app.goo.g ... GwzBEapTt6
Last edited by Dave S on Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suffolk, UK

75RR

Re: Humble Fly

#4 Post by 75RR » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:00 pm

It works if you copy image location and post between [img] markers
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Dave S

#5 Post by Dave S » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:29 pm

Hmmm?, I'm confused, as I tried that in option 2.

I'll have another play later.

I do have a Flickr account, but I like to keep this for my photography, and if I want to link an image to a forum, I use the bbCode.

So, for my future microscope images, I opened a Google Photo account.
Last edited by Dave S on Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Suffolk, UK

Dave S

#6 Post by Dave S » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:29 pm

Duplicate post, but unable to delete posts on this forum.
Last edited by Dave S on Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suffolk, UK

Dave S

#7 Post by Dave S » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:07 pm

Image location copied and pasted between the IMG markers

Still no go :(
Last edited by Dave S on Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suffolk, UK

Dave S

#8 Post by Dave S » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:33 pm

Ok, next step. I uploaded the photo to Flickr, copied the bbCode, pasted it below, and 'Bingo' it works. But it doesn't work for me, when linked to Google Photos. :roll:

I am at a loss to know why???

ImageHumble Fly by Dave, on Flickr
Last edited by Dave S on Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suffolk, UK

Dave S

#9 Post by Dave S » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:48 pm

Ok, sorted :) . Its quite a bit more involved than sharing from Flickr, as you have to go through three layers of the Google photos site to achieve it , but it now works, as you can see below.

As I only want to use it for posting my future microscopy images to this forum, it will do the job, and its free :)

Suffolk, UK

mrsonchus

#10 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:04 pm

The image in G-Photos must be shared, or reside in an album that's shared.
There's a small 'trick' to setting the share which I personally found a little counter-intuitive before I discovered it by accident really....

For example, to create a shared album in G-Photos....
First create and name a new album then populate it with images,

This screen 'comes up' next - album creation isn't complete, yet...
Click the 'share' icon/button in the top right corner,

The share box appears,

Click the 'create-link' button as in above image, without selecting a particular person (contact) with whom to share. We are creating a share that anyone with the link (which is of course inside the IMG tags in your post to show the image/s) can use to see the image - as in your forum-post. The images in this post are residing in the actual shared album created in this example post!

The created link appears but you need do nothing with it - it doesn't need to be copied or anything...
Simply click anywhere outside the white box containing the link to make the next screen (see below)...
Incidentally - I usually select the little unlocked-padlock icon (top right corner of white box) and set the share permission to deny the addition of photos to the album by others - nearly forgot to mention that!

This is the next screen, showing your new album and it's images - but the creation of the (shared) album isn't quite finished,

As the image above shows, the back-arrow top-left of the screen must be clicked to complete the creation of the shared album, after which, any images subsequently added TO THAT ALBUM will automatically be of a 'shared' status - ready to include in posts.
Here's the next screen - creation is completed at this screen. The new album shows-up in the G-Photos front-page list of your albums, with you'll notice, the 'shared' status attached to it.

Opening the album then opening any image in it will show the image and you'll be able to right-click it to get the image's address,
Here the album is opened and the images are shown,

An image selected comes up as below, a right-click anywhere on the image brings the address box up,

After the right-click and selection of 'Copy image address' from the white-box's menu, the image address will be copied into you 'clipboard' and is then available to paste into the forum's IMG tags, either with the paste command or a Ctrl-V keypress shortcut as for any paste..

Put the IMG tags into your text, better on it's own line, the paste your shared image's address (previously copied into your clipboard) between the tags and it'll be available for all to see.
Linking to images this way means there's (virtually) no limit (at least it's nowhere near the usual 5 when the forum's hosting your downsized image) to the number of images a post may include - and they do NOT need to be downsized to either the 1000-pixel in any dimension size-limit of the 500k storage-size limit!

Sorry this looks complicated but it's easier and faster thatn it looks.... promise...
Last edited by mrsonchus on Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
John B

MichaelG.

#11 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:56 pm

Great tutorial, John ... but unfortunately [for me at least] your final 'image' displays the dreaded grey no-entry sign.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

mrsonchus

#12 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:02 pm

MichaelG. wrote:Great tutorial, John ... but unfortunately [for me at least] your final 'image' displays the dreaded grey no-entry sign.

MichaelG.

Haha! :oops: :oops: :D
So it does my friend! (just checked using the incognito window) - the last image has the tiny little broken frame icon..

I'm off to fix it!
John B

Dave S

#13 Post by Dave S » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:33 pm

Very informative John, thanks for taking the time to post it.

I got there in there end by trial and error.

The image is in a shared folder.

Flickr is so much more intuitive, easier to use, but now I've sorted it, Google Photos will do for microscopy images, especially as they will be nowhere near the quantity, and frequency of my photography images.
Suffolk, UK

mrsonchus

#14 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:45 pm

Dave S wrote:Very informative John, thanks for taking the time to post it.

I got there in there end by trial and error.

The image is in a shared folder.

Flickr is so much more intuitive, easier to use, but now I've sorted it, Google Photos will do for microscopy images, especially as they will be nowhere near the quantity, and frequency of my photography images.
Hi Dave, I have thought of returning to Flickr as I used to use it a few years ago now. These days it appears a little dead as I look over the groups and their post dates. As a repository It may be O.K.though? It always did have a nice interface I thought.

How do you find it now? Is it still free to any degree?
John B

Dave S

#15 Post by Dave S » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:40 pm

I only use Flickr as an image store John, and for linking the occasional photo to some photography groups, where direct posting applies a degree of compression to images.

I used to have a free Pro account, but lost that when Flickr broke away from a partnership with my employer. Not a problem though, as I still have adequate free space for my images. I only put selected jmages on there, as I have unlimited cloud storage with my broadband supplier. Also use Canon's free Irista cloud. Apart from that, everything is regularly backed up on two external drives.

As far as Flickr groups go, they are about as much use as a 'chocolate fireguard'. Little more than image dumping grounds, with almost zero interaction. As such I don't bother with them.
Suffolk, UK

mrsonchus

#16 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:46 pm

Dave S wrote:I only use Flickr as an image store John, and for linking the occasional photo to some photography groups, where direct posting applies a degree of compression to images.

I used to have a free Pro account, but lost that when Flickr broke away from a partnership with my employer. Not a problem though, as I still have adequate free space for my images. I only put selected jmages on there, as I have unlimited cloud storage with my broadband supplier. Also use Canon's free Irista cloud. Apart from that, everything is regularly backed up on two external drives.

As far as Flickr groups go, they are about as much use as a 'chocolate fireguard'. Little more than image dumping grounds, with almost zero interaction. As such I don't bother with them.
Thanks Dave, seems I'll leave Flickr to it's own demise, thanks for the info.
John B

AntonioGPS

#17 Post by AntonioGPS » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:50 am

I hold a phpBB forum for another subject, and have implemented a very valuable extension for including a seeing images within messages
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/find ... B%5D=&sc=1

Roldorf

#18 Post by Roldorf » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:34 am

I seem to remember going through this once before. I never did get G Photos to consistently display images it appeared to work only when I was logged in to G Photos.
I later found this site which works fine and have used it ever since. Use the link 'Hotlink for forums'. It contains the url tags so just post the link direct into the post. The site is free :D
If you click on the image you will be taken to the postimage website clicking on the image again will display the image full size. You can also open your own account by clicking on the signup button, couldn't be easier.

By the way this is a coprolite

Unknown Brand: Optika SFX 91: Bresser Science Infinity: Canon 4000d
ImageImage

AntonioGPS

#19 Post by AntonioGPS » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:02 am

Concerning this extensión, I must say that I am not the author nor the recipient of any PayPal donations
This is a very handy extensión, very easy to use and make a lot easier to include pictures in phpbb

The extension is free to use, and his author give the chance to receive PayPal donations if you want yo acknoledge his work