Spammers proliferate

Post recommendations here. This is also the place where announcements will be made.
Hobbyst46

Re: Spammers proliferate

#31 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:48 pm

OK. So twice today was I lured into reading a post about a subject that I had remembered, only to suddenly, near the end, realize that the post was 2-4 years old. Not a relevant bump - a spam.
I imagine a simple automatic algorithm that, when it faces a sudden response in a post laid dormant during the past year (say), automatically marks it as spam and deletes it. No questions asked.

blekenbleu

#32 Post by blekenbleu » Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:35 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:48 pm
I imagine a simple automatic algorithm
That would wipe out a fair number of my replies, since I often search the site (using Google) for topics of interest
which have been addressed by others but e.g. contain broken links.

Implementing algorithms on top of a turn-key website package requires at least a different skill set
than installing and configuring that package,
and even professionally developed and maintained website packages are liable to hacks.
Trying to add automated spam fighting could easily increase vulnerabilities for other attacks
that could e.g. wipe out valuable content.

In fact, the owner of this website did NOT configure it, that was done by another party
which may no longer be involved. The phpBB package does not have effective automatic anti-spam bot,
and many anti-spam plugins advertised for it are IMO lame, and support for them often lapses.
Metaphot, Optiphot 1, 66; AO 10, 120, EPIStar, Cycloptic

dtsh

#33 Post by dtsh » Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:49 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:51 pm
Even since this thread was started two months ago, spammers continue to raid.

I really do not understand why it is not possible to initially block and prevent spamming by an algorithm that will recognize obvious spams (such as are present at this very moment on, say, the "Phone illumination - poor man confocal" or "...FIFA23" posts).

Immediately when such a spam message is posted, the algorithm should delete it, with an appropriate (and polite) refusal message to the spammer. Even if that complicates the introduction and acceptance of new members by just a tiny bit.
Wes wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:56 pm
Probably because it requires some effort on side of the admin who runs this site as a hobby and has a life to deal with, family etc. I doubt spammers affect his bottom line so no pressing incentive to deal with them.
Money and time is my guess. Others have mentioned it, but even just a couple of moderators with the ability to hide or delete posts would go a long ways.

MichaelG.

#34 Post by MichaelG. » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:31 am

This morning’s post on the Cataract topic is a good example of one that might be difficult for an affordable algorithm to detect, but is easily spotted by the human reader.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

PeteM

#35 Post by PeteM » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:21 pm

It's a shame that lowlifes like our most recent spammer exist. A sign of the times, perhaps, that some people think that petty digital theft is a way to make a living.

Also a shame that our host - with such clearly good intentions - doesn't have either the personal bandwidth or (despite offers) an interest in having others help to better limit the scourge of spammers.

I know that many here have given generously of their time to help others. Their help -- and the number of times a member reply turns up in a Google (etc.) search -- has resulted in this site gaining significant traffic (and also drawing spammers, sadly). Looking into the future, one wonders if the time taken to assist others is worth it on this site.

Does anyone know of a better-moderated site - or have the skills and inclination to start one?

blekenbleu

Re: Spammer MITIGATION

#36 Post by blekenbleu » Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:42 pm

What might work:
  • remove topics from new posts if/when those posts are reported.
  • temporarily block subsequent posts from userids getting consecutive posts reported.
Metaphot, Optiphot 1, 66; AO 10, 120, EPIStar, Cycloptic

Javier

#37 Post by Javier » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:31 pm

It's getting really annoying!

xioz

#38 Post by xioz » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:00 am

I tried the Add Foe function for the board. It hides the spammers posts from you, but the re-activated threads still show up in the Active Topics list unfortunately.