Forum Etiquette

Post recommendations here. This is also the place where announcements will be made.
75RR

Forum Etiquette

#1 Post by 75RR » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:18 pm

I have noticed that in the amateurmicrography/photomacrography forum, fellow members of this forum have been commenting on posts that they have already seen here. Though some might see this merely as the encouragement of a fellow forum member it has a distorted effect on the other posters of images of that forum, keeping them down the visible order.
I think that as a matter of courtesy if we have already seen and or commented on an image we should refrain from doing so again.
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

apochronaut

Re: Forum Etiquette

#2 Post by apochronaut » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:44 pm

So, you are actually commenting on forum etiquette for that forum on this forum?

KurtM

#3 Post by KurtM » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:41 pm

Have you always been a control freak, or just getting started? :lol:
Cheers,
Kurt Maurer
League City, Texas
email: ngc704(at)gmail(dot)com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/67904872@ ... 912223623/

zzffnn

#4 Post by zzffnn » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:14 pm

75RR wrote:I have noticed that in the amateurmicrography/photomacrography forum, fellow members of this forum have been commenting on posts that they have already seen here. Though some might see this merely as the encouragement of a fellow forum member it has a distorted effect on the other posters of images of that forum, keeping them down the visible order.
I think that as a matter of courtesy if we have already seen and or commented on an image we should refrain from doing so again.
I have to second what Kurt and apo said.

If the other forum's comments stimulated my scientific curiosity and I wanted to comment on it, am I allowed to do so? If I comment again, would that comment put an otherwise excellent image from another memeber/thread, for example Charles Krebs's image, beyond people's notice?

Do I have to abandon my right of free speech, to obey some not-so-well-established "etiquette"?

I am not sure other members mind duplicated comments. I myself certainly don't mind, even if my own thread is pushed down by those comments.

Maybe 75RR can ask forum administrators and get back to us, if such "etiquette" is needed.
Last edited by zzffnn on Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 7 times in total.

mrsonchus

#5 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:22 pm

Hmm, 75 - I'm finding it hard to see your point my friend - I disagree with your premise old chap. :)
John B

75RR

#6 Post by 75RR » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:55 pm

KurtM wrote:Have you always been a control freak, or just getting started? :lol:
:)
Do I have to abandon my right of free speech, to obey some not-so-well-established "etiquette"?
This is not about free speech - it is about manners.
I'm finding it hard to see your point ...
Sorry to hear that.

mrsonchus

#7 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:08 pm

No worries 75 old chap - you'll not be the only one to think this I'm sure - it's subjective as are most things my friend! :D :D :)
John B

apochronaut

#8 Post by apochronaut » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:45 pm

The original post is flawed and should be removed from this forum, because it has nothing to do with this forum. The targeted members, are also members of the other forum, as I am. If there is a grievance between members of the photomacrography.net/amateurmicrography.net forum, the grievance should be raised on that forum and not here.
There is nothing appropriate about this . I do not see the same appeal on the very forum it is about. It is an attempt to hide the grievance from the more general view of that other forum, where I suspect there would be at least the same level of dismissal, plus the risk of having ones bubble somewhat deflated.
Oliver, could you please remove this in the same manner that you would erase any irrelevant or spurious post.

mrsonchus

#9 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:15 pm

I can't agree with your sentiments here apo', although I'm sure you won't lose any sleep for knowing that. I personally think that your suggestion for the removal of 75's post is a shabby one and not an appropriate manner in which to treat a valued and consistently (far more may I say than yourself) contributing and friendly forum regular such as he undoubtedly is.

Ignore this unnecessary attempt at escalation 75' my friend - I suspect apo' may be having a bad day. :roll:

Whilst I don't see 75's perspective re the point he has made, I am totally in support of his right (an earned right in my opinion and I'm certain that of many others here) to express it here.

That's my tuppence-worth fellows. :)
John B

apochronaut

#10 Post by apochronaut » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:40 am

The issue is entirely related to the other forum. Has nothing to do with microbehunter.com.

McConkey

#11 Post by McConkey » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:22 am

There's another forum?!!

Shows how much attention i pay!
Karl
AO21 with Canon M3

billbillt

#12 Post by billbillt » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:41 pm

Here:

I think this is the one under discussion.

http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/

BillT

Dave S

#13 Post by Dave S » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:08 pm

Steady on guys, or this could end like many Facebook Groups, that mimic the "Jeremy Kyle Show" ;)

Apologies to our non UK members who wouldn't understand the reference to the Jeremy Kyle show. :)
Suffolk, UK

75RR

#14 Post by 75RR » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:25 pm

Dave S wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:08 pm
Steady on guys, or this could end like many Facebook Groups, that mimic the "Jeremy Kyle Show" ;)

Apologies to our non UK members who wouldn't understand the reference to the Jeremy Kyle show. :)

You do realize that you have gone and bumped a thread from 2016 for no good reason, right?

Dave S

#15 Post by Dave S » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:38 pm

No, I didn't notice the date, but no harm done, and the moral of the story is still valid.

As for not noticing the date of the original 'Thread', put that down to a 'senior moment'. :)
Suffolk, UK