New subforum idea: Microscope buying advice

Post recommendations here. This is also the place where announcements will be made.
farnsy

New subforum idea: Microscope buying advice

#1 Post by farnsy » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:03 am

A decent fraction of folks come here initially for microscope-buying advice, my first post was of this form. When I came it was a bit confusing because there is one forum for microscopes and optics and another for beginners stuff. It was not at all clear to me where someone would come for advice about buying. The problem with beginners forums is that they are often filled with beginners. Other forums (at least in other forums I have been in) may get annoyed eventually by folks coming to ask for buying advice. Also, it would be a great place for shoppers who are not members of the forum to browse past advice. There are only so many questions to be asked on that topic.

Anyway, I think it makes sense. You might give it some thought.

PeteM

Re: New subforum idea: Microscope buying advice

#2 Post by PeteM » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:53 am

Seems a good idea to me.

The forum could also have a "sticky" with links to various guides; such as the one Rob Berdan recently posted.

Hobbyst46

Re: New subforum idea: Microscope buying advice

#3 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:09 am

PeteM wrote:...The forum could also have a "sticky" with links to various guides; such as the one Rob Berdan recently posted.
I think that this is the better way to go; there should be separate route entries, between folks who would like to buy a microscope but have no specific model/configuration in mind, and those who would like advice in selecting from a list, or prioritizing a candidate scope among other models.