What happened to the Microbe Hunter magazine?

Post recommendations here. This is also the place where announcements will be made.
daruosha

What happened to the Microbe Hunter magazine?

#1 Post by daruosha » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:45 pm

I've downloaded all the issues and find them to be a great bedtime read. Very well laid out and useful articles. It's sad to see the latest issue was published on 2017.

Are there any plans for the magazine to come back to life? What was the problem? Lack of literature? Financial support? Anything we can help?
Daruosh.

einman

Re: What happened to the Microbe Hunter magazine?

#2 Post by einman » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:56 am

I asked the same question back in 2017. I even had an article already written. I was told in no uncertain terms he was focusing on his websites and youtube channels rather than the magazine.

75RR

#3 Post by 75RR » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:10 am

I imagine that in the end it came down to a combination that it was both a lot of work and was also reaching a limited audience.

I think the change (effectively publishing articles/topics on youtube) has worked out very well.

Not only is Oliver reaching and teaching a wider audience but you can see how much he is enjoying it as well. That is a Win-Win in my book.

Here is a recent fun one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ThRlqXkts
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

einman

#4 Post by einman » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:27 pm

agree.

charlie g

#5 Post by charlie g » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:50 am

Thank you, OP, for posting this question. Thank you, eiman , for giving the sense that Oliver informed you back in 2017 that his other important microscopy projects demanded his available energies. I salute Oliver Kim as an educator, a man with young family, and the founder of this world-wide nexus of amateur microscopy in current times.

For two of my cherished memberships related to aquatic biology ...I sadly did not renew subscriptions when each discontinued their hard copy printed journals...sigh Ahh, but Oliver Kim keeps a sort of 'hyper text experience' with this dear forum community able to post/ converse/ share microscopy of all sorts...images, videos included, and rich links reaching vintage wonderful microscopy...and current state of the art microscopy. It all blurs for me...but I still (? quaintly?, with personal conceit?) , I still enjoy print magazine content..content I can view with no electric power, with no tether to a computer-internet linkage..sigh.

Again thanks OP, and einman for this discussion, Charlie Guevara, finger lakes/US

daruosha

#6 Post by daruosha » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:42 am

Hats off to Mr. Charlie Guevara for his excellent articles and writings in the Microbe Hunter magazine..
I still enjoy print magazine content..content I can view with no electric power, with no tether to a computer-internet linkage..sigh.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Daruosh.

admin
Site Admin

#7 Post by admin » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:43 am

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you for asking.

Yes, the last issue was back in 2017 and one reason why I (temporarily?) stopped making the magazine was becasue I had somewhat of a difficulty in obtaining articles. There were several microscopists who were submitting articles on a regular basis and a big thank you goes to them. But I myself had to spend considerable time writing articles myself to make sure that the magazine has sufficient pages, and this required a lot of time (in addition to the layout). Around that time I also opened this new forum here, which gives people a more direct way to communicate with each other, and to publish their results directly in the forum.

When I started the Youtube channels, I found out that it is much faster to reach many people, but then again, the medium can not be compared, because the magazine gives individuals the possibility to get articles seen. Making a Youtube video requires far less time. I can imagine maybe to publish an issue maybe four times a year? Now that the Youtube channels and this forum are larger, maybe it is possible to get more people involved.

Would like to hear the opinion of the community on this!

Oliver.
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.
(Bertrand Russell)

MichaelG.

#8 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:29 am

My opinion, Oliver ... I think you made the right decision.

As Treasurer of one of the oldest Microscopical Societies: I am all too aware of the effort and expense involved in producing a printed publication.

MicrobeHunter has ‘embraced’ modern channels of communication.
... Well done, Sir

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Roldorf

#9 Post by Roldorf » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:08 pm

First of all, many thanks Oliver for this wonderful forum and your YouTube channels which I look forward to every week. If producing a printed magazine would detract from your current activities I would think that would be a very sad outcome.

Unknown Brand: Optika SFX 91: Bresser Science Infinity: Canon 4000d
ImageImage

DonSchaeffer

#10 Post by DonSchaeffer » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:16 pm

I am just grateful to find you on YouTube. You re-awakened a long dormant interest, especially when you pointed out that I could enjoy the hobby at an acceptable level without a huge cash outlay. Thank you. I am really enjoying myself as I muddle around with my microscope.