self-aligning-microscope-limits-super-resolution

Post recommendations here. This is also the place where announcements will be made.

daruosha

Re: self-aligning-microscope-limits-super-resolution

#2 Post by daruosha » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:35 pm

It's a super cool invention, but still I'm not sure how exactly it self-aligns. Anyone cared to search for the paper?
Now the limit of detection of single-molecule microscopes has been smashed again, and the details are published in the current issue of Science Advances.
Daruosh.

SuiGenerisBrewing

Re: self-aligning-microscope-limits-super-resolution

#3 Post by SuiGenerisBrewing » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:43 am

daruosha wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:35 pm
It's a super cool invention, but still I'm not sure how exactly it self-aligns. Anyone cared to search for the paper?
Now the limit of detection of single-molecule microscopes has been smashed again, and the details are published in the current issue of Science Advances.
Its not really self-aligning in the sense of aligning optical components. Rather, it tracks the position of fiducial markers added to the sample, and by measuring the changes in the position of those fiducials, moves a piezioelectric stage to keep the sample in the same location. So its more a case of moving the sample to counter vibration and thermal changes in a microscope's aliment, rather than self-aligning the scope itself. A neat idea, but hardly ground-breaking. They also over-state the issue - without this tech, my lab frequently gets 12-20 nm resolution with our GSDM microscope. Proper microscope design and environmental (vibrational & thermal) isolation can go a long ways to limiting the issues this technology addresses. The "20-30 nm" precision that they claim they're fixing is only really an issue when you try to perform SMLM techniques using a conventional microscope body, rather than one specialized for the task. For example, in our scope the objective lens is fixed to the stage, so there is near-perfect coupling of any vibration or movement of the stage to the lens.