1st steps in Stereo microscopy

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
qanunji

1st steps in Stereo microscopy

#1 Post by qanunji » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:04 pm

Hi,
I've got my self an Olympus SZ6045TR, the price was really good for itself, and the Icing was the SZH-ILLD & NFK 1.67 installed.
Im well trained with compound mics, but got some questions about stereo in general, and this model in particular.
Sorry for the long post:
* Ive noticed that zooming/focusing is a bit diagonal, nothing that affects image quality, just distracting with videography. is that normal?
*whats the purpose of the ILLD diaphragm? blocking stray light? I really cant tell any difference with/without it.
*The base illumination is excellent for the eye viewing, but DF is challenging in videography, I had to go up to 3200 ISO.
I'm assuming it's because the low NA of the objectives, do you know a better lamp for this base? I've already changed to the more powerful Philips 7027.
*Any tips to get oblique illumination with that base?
*Im looking also for epi illumination, any recommendations? this base has a 6V 20W max auxiliary output built in.
*speaking auxiliary - Im looking for the x1.5 or x2 auxiliary lenses, but they are very hard to find. do you know any alternatives? is the chinisium stuff worth anything?
that's it for now, here is some footage from it, thanks.

IMG_20210723_152156_tigr_2.jpg
IMG_20210723_152156_tigr_2.jpg (168.95 KiB) Viewed 4080 times

Hobbyst46

Re: 1st steps in Stereo microscopy

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:37 pm

Congratulations. Should be a great stereoscope.

An instructions manual for this stereoscope is easily downloadable free, includes some troubleshooting tips. Possibly a maintenance manual can be had from Alan Wood - he is extremely helpful.

You probably did not think of it anyway, but if so - better not replace the 20w lamp within the base with a stronger halogen bulb. Might cause severe heat damage.

The microscope magnification is already 1-6.3x ; from my own working experience (not photography) I would not add a 2x Barlow lens. At the most, a 1.5x.
For just viewing and no photo, I believe that a 1.5x Barlow lens from other good quality brands will serve ; provided the thread is compatible.

Scarodactyl

#3 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:56 pm

The illd is a bit underpowered in darkfield. Maybe a fiber optic light source could be adapted, or an LED?
When you say zooming/focusing is diagonal, do you mean it doesnt stay in focus as you zoom in? There is a procedure for this--zoom all the way in and focus with the focus knob, then zoom out and refocus with the eyepiece adjustment. Repeat as needed. Thr nfk eyepiece should be parfocal in its fixed position if the camera is placed correctly.

mrsonchus

#4 Post by mrsonchus » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:14 pm

Very nice 'scope! Congratulations.
I recently acquired an SZH with this base, which I find a joy to use. First job with the base is to clean the (two of them) frosted filters and the little concave mirror that sits directly behind the halogen bulb. Also the cylindrical reflector - be careful with this it's surface doesn't look as durable as a 'proper' flat mirrored surface...
I 3D-printed a (black) diaphragm with a lip to enable a blue (1mm thick) filter to sit flush in it's center - works perfectly and gives a nicely balanced light.

One thing I think the diaphragm does do is to reduce glare coming up to the eyes during observation, especially when 'getting all serious' and observing with ambient room-light dimmed down.

Oh yes, the heat-filter glass will also benefit from a good clean.....

The two frosted-filters,

Nice white light from blue filter mounted in center of diaphragm,

John B

qanunji

#5 Post by qanunji » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:26 pm

Hobbyst46 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:37 pm

You probably did not think of it anyway, but if so - better not replace the 20w lamp within the base with a stronger halogen bulb. Might cause severe heat damage.

The microscope magnification is already 1-6.3x ; from my own working experience (not photography) I would not add a 2x Barlow lens. At the most, a 1.5x.
For just viewing and no photo, I believe that a 1.5x Barlow lens from other good quality brands will serve ; provided the thread is compatible.
Thanks,
I think I've read everything on Alan wood's website already. except for the inverted microscopes :)
Of course not above 50W, but the default lamp rated as 900 lumens (2000 hrs) and the other one is 1600 lumens (albeit 50 hrs).
my thinking with the barlow lens was to maybe gain some light from decreasing the working distance (whicg I dont need that much anyway).
maybe I should test a Raynox for that.

qanunji

#6 Post by qanunji » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:31 pm

Scarodactyl wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:56 pm
The illd is a bit underpowered in darkfield. Maybe a fiber optic light source could be adapted, or an LED?
When you say zooming/focusing is diagonal, do you mean it doesnt stay in focus as you zoom in? There is a procedure for this--zoom all the way in and focus with the focus knob, then zoom out and refocus with the eyepiece adjustment. Repeat as needed. Thr nfk eyepiece should be parfocal in its fixed position if the camera is placed correctly.
I was just thinking about adding a reflector behind the lamp, I'll take it from a BH2 lamp house I got.
I know about about the diopter adjustment, that one is working fine.
what I meant, is that a point in the center will travel left or right when I'm zooming or focusing.

qanunji

#7 Post by qanunji » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:40 pm

mrsonchus wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:14 pm
Thanks, this week is work off, so I'll give it a good cleaning.
your printed diaphragm and filter holder are exactly like what I've got already built in with the base, maybe they where missing for you?
IMG_20210724_003756_tigr.jpg
IMG_20210724_003756_tigr.jpg (87.02 KiB) Viewed 4021 times

Scarodactyl

#8 Post by Scarodactyl » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:46 pm

qanunji wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:31 pm
what I meant, is that a point in the center will travel left or right when I'm zooming or focusing.
Oh, yeah. That's unavoidable on a greenough.

MichaelG.

#9 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:32 am

Scarodactyl wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:46 pm
qanunji wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:31 pm
Oh, yeah. That's unavoidable on a greenough.
Yes … as mentioned at 11 here: http://www.alanwood.net/downloads/olymp ... ctions.pdf
The camera only sees one ‘channel’ … equivalent to the Right eyepiece
Not immediately apparent from the external appearance of the ‘scope.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

mrsonchus

#10 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:16 pm

qanunji wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:40 pm
mrsonchus wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:14 pm
Thanks, this week is work off, so I'll give it a good cleaning.
your printed diaphragm and filter holder are exactly like what I've got already built in with the base, maybe they where missing for you?
Yes they were not with the 'scope when I got it - these 3D printers are so handy for microscopy though!. It's nice to see that I'm on the right track with my version - a very nice stand indeed, a good DSLR is as you say better for darkfield, I use a low-mid-range Canon200D on my BX50, and at the moment either a Canon1200D or a 5mp USB2 Toupcam for the stereos - I also have a lovely Nikon SMZ800 but I'm going to sell that one and keep the SZH - after about a month of having them both I've decided to keep the SZH, even though the SMZ800 is a beautiful 'scope the SZH with it's objective changer and stand have come out on top as it were in use in my teeny lab.
John B