Black Magic pocket 4k on Motic BA310E trinocular

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
Lolo22

Black Magic pocket 4k on Motic BA310E trinocular

#1 Post by Lolo22 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:07 pm

Hello

I have a question concerning connecting my Black Magic pocket 4k to Motic BA310E trinocular.
My camera has a 4/3 sensor and my trinocular an 37,5 mm opening.
I am pretty new to connecting cameras to my trinocular so I was wondering if anyone has experience with this? I have found an LMScope adapter which is custom made for my black magic but it is extremly pricey. (Motic does not provide adapters for 4/3).

Does anyone have experinece with motic microscopes and BMP4K camera or has any affordable suggestion?

Thank you!

PeteM

Re: Black Magic pocket 4k on Motic BA310E trinocular

#2 Post by PeteM » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:24 pm

I don't recall if the Motic BA310E has a removable (screw-in) chimney on the trinocular port. If it does, I'd think you might be able to get your camera sensor close enough to the tube lens (bottom lens on the head) to image directly to the sensor of your Black Magic camera. Motic Plan Achromats with a field number of 22 (mm) or above should be able to cover the sensor diagonal reasonably well.

Sounds like you already have the camera and microscope? It would be easy enough to hand hold the camera (no lens) and give it a try.

When the image is simultaneously in focus through the eyepieces and direct to the camera sensor, you will know the approximate length of adapter needed. From there you cobble together one out of camera adapters, 3D prototype one, or machine one - with a bit of adjustment possible by way of a helicoid, slip fit and set screws etc. If the trinocular tube chimney can't be removed - and the sensor sends up too far from simultaneous focus - other options like cutting the tube or finding a bare tube lens come into play.

Cristian11

Re: Black Magic pocket 4k on Motic BA310E trinocular

#3 Post by Cristian11 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:34 pm

You do not need the super expensive adapter.

Focus first regularly on the oculars, then find the focus distance with the camera on the trinocular. Take measurements and find a 3D printer service and print a tube. It will cost 20$ or so.