What kind of adapter for this camera?

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
kblackwell

What kind of adapter for this camera?

#1 Post by kblackwell » Fri May 24, 2024 3:38 pm

Hello,
I have this Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH25 camera.
I have a trinocular microscope.
When the camera is on and the lens is out, it does fit into the photo port and I can use the tightener to make it secure.
But, it needs some sort of lens in there. I'm only seeing a small circle of light in the center.
What would I need?
Here's a pic of my camera with widths. It seems to me that it would require something with a 30mm opening on top, then a lens, then the 30mm part to fit into the photo port.
Yes, I'm aware that focusing the camera causes the tube lengths to alter, and that could be a problem, so maybe it would need to be mounted closer to the body of the camera (?).
Thanks!
Attachments
lumix.jpg
lumix.jpg (98.55 KiB) Viewed 490 times

sreynolds

Re: What kind of adapter for this camera?

#2 Post by sreynolds » Wed May 29, 2024 11:58 am

What you're trying to do with that camera is use the 'afocal' method - which is the same method you use when you put your cell phone camera above the eyepiece to take a picture. Tons on posts about 'afocal' method. It won't work going directly into the trinocular port - it needs an eyepiece, and then some kind of mechanical adapter to hold it above the eyepiece; needs to be put in manual focus mode and locked at infinity focus. It won't be a very satisfactory camera solution.
Steve

kblackwell

#3 Post by kblackwell » Wed May 29, 2024 1:29 pm

OK - thanks for the info. I suspected as much, but thought I'd ask.

kblackwell

#4 Post by kblackwell » Thu May 30, 2024 5:47 pm

Wait! I just spotted this in one of the microbehunter videos!
Does anyone know what this is called, if it's available for purchase?
Attachments
camera_mnt2.jpg
camera_mnt2.jpg (25.57 KiB) Viewed 371 times
camera_mnt.jpg
camera_mnt.jpg (27.18 KiB) Viewed 371 times

Scoper

#5 Post by Scoper » Fri May 31, 2024 2:56 pm

charlie g

#6 Post by charlie g » Fri May 31, 2024 4:56 pm

Hi, kblackwell, first try 'hand holding your 'point and shoot camera' at the vertical port..with that port having an eyepiece in place...toggle your cameras focus control and see how much of the field of view can be obtained...

even snap a few image captures this way.

These 'point and shoots' are not the best cameras to pair with a microscope..but I often image captured this way..if you like the images..then get the camera mount. all the best, charlie g

kblackwell

#7 Post by kblackwell » Fri May 31, 2024 8:58 pm

Scoper wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 2:56 pm
Take a look at this…

https://www.amazon.com/Orion-5338-Stead ... B0069VXY7K
Thanks - yes, this type of thing might be the ticket. I'll do some more digging!

charlie g wrote:
Fri May 31, 2024 4:56 pm
Hi, kblackwell, first try 'hand holding your 'point and shoot camera' at the vertical port..with that port having an eyepiece in place...toggle your cameras focus control and see how much of the field of view can be obtained...

even snap a few image captures this way.

These 'point and shoots' are not the best cameras to pair with a microscope..but I often image captured this way..if you like the images..then get the camera mount. all the best, charlie g
Yes - probably not the best. BUT, it's something I already own! I see a lot of comments online indicating that cameras specifically made for microscopes are crappy. If I can leverage some of my leftover gadgets it's worth a shot, IMHO!
Another thought was to buy a used DSLR and a proper c-mount adapter, that might be my next choice... maybe.

BUT.... I did find another old gadget at home that has never been used, which might fit the bill.....

This Ion Pro camera my kids got for xmas several years ago! It has HDMI out - is made primarily for video, maybe I can use for still shots too, IDK. It's got the standard camera mount screw hole, and has a 16gb microSD card already in there, so I've ordered a mini-hdmi cable adapter for $7, will see if it works ok. I'll test it out and see how the quality is, and maybe rig a mount for it if it looks like it might work. Will probably have to get another eyepiece too...... Still though, huge savings over an official $$$ microscope cam.....
Attachments
ion2.jpg
ion2.jpg (74.36 KiB) Viewed 300 times
ion1.jpg
ion1.jpg (60.69 KiB) Viewed 300 times

charlie g

#8 Post by charlie g » Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:37 am

Hi, kblackwell, I suggest you get a crisp focus in the vertical tube eyepiece of targets not moving ( fixed tissue slide, algae plant wetmounts, etc.) ...then handhold your 'point and shoot camera' contacting the ocular lens...and toggle

the camera focus control until you get a full screen view of the microscopy targets...see if you capture crisp images ( you should be able to).

I,m not asking you to give up on your 'point and shoot camera'...I,m asking you to give it a chance to perform.

Over the years I have hand held 'point and shoot camera' to vertical tube ( tube with an eyepiece, image in crisp focus), I have also hand held 'point and shoot camera' to crisp focus refractor telescope for good images of Mercury transiting our sun.

Give it a try..at least on vacations you have a trusty camera that fits in your shirt pocket..and hand held image captures with a microscope. charlie g

kblackwell

#9 Post by kblackwell » Sat Jun 01, 2024 4:57 am

Yes, I'll give it a shot. Might try the red camera manually this weekend. Can't try the blue action cam until I get the mini HDMI adapter. But due to plans, probably won't make a lot of progress on this for a few weeks.

MichaelG.

#10 Post by MichaelG. » Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:02 am

I have never seen the ion camera before, but found this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MtrGxPwd_o

It’s rather slow-paced, but may be useful.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'