choosing software

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
Latvia

choosing software

#1 Post by Latvia » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:52 am

Hi I have just bought this camera I think that it is a Hayear I downloaded the Hayhear software,but would like to know if I can use any other capturing and editing software with this camera and what have you used and think is good software to capture and edit with many thanks Stephen.Here is a image of the camera.
s-l1600[2].jpg
s-l1600[2].jpg (108.9 KiB) Viewed 5027 times

garstro

Re: choosing software

#2 Post by garstro » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:09 pm

Different brand but similar camera. The software for camera was only capture to program using usb. I capture on the SD card & download to computer. From there you can use gimp for photos & windows video editor or handbrake for video. All are free. The only editing I do is to shorten video ( out of focus, lost critter, etc ) for saving. Never used all the white balance, color, brightness, or any other adjustments on camera itself as everything looks good as is for me. You can't change camera settings with usb, at least on mine. Windows video editor has a short learning curve.

jmp

#3 Post by jmp » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:04 pm

I have a similar camera (from Hayear too). The common theme in all these lower tier cameras is that you can only adjust exposure, white balance, etc, when its connected directly to an HDMI monitor. Also, photo/video capture at the full resolution of the sensor (and highest possible frame rate) is only possible when saving to the SD card. USB (2.0) limits capture to lower resolutions and frame rates, though I've found them decent and convenient if one wants to avoid the hassle of switching to HDMI/SD capture.

One detail to note is that exposure/white balance/etc changes done when connected directly to HDMI persist through power cycles of the camera and are kept for subsequent USB connections. Not the most convenient, but its a way to tweak those parameters in camera for use over USB capture.

As for the software, I've found the one included from Hayear to be handy, specially for quick measuring and annotation, if you are running Wiindows. Though the handling of video is quite basic and frankly annoying (start/stop with a hotkey, no way through browse through frames, etc) it does have a feature that lets you do z-stacks and stitching directly from video. Quite convenient for capturing a whole image from a large subject by just scanning it while capturing video. All editing features from the Hayear software also work in Linux under Wine (even stitching/stacking from video), unfortunately capturing from the camera does not work when ran this way.

As an alternative, I've used Webcamoid in Linux to directly capture both photo and video from the camera. Real time filters also work nice, so its easy to record in B&W, or apply other effects. I find the B&W filter quite useful when capturing video using a green filter (say with phase contrast). Downstream editing can then be done with any other open source tools, as garstro said. I've used gimp/darktable/handbrake/kdenlive but there's plenty more.

Hope this helps.

LH4PI

#4 Post by LH4PI » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:30 am

Hi
Do You know why the Hayears software cam part is not working using wine in Linux . I have the Hy- 500B that works in windows version .

Best Regards Lars Herrnsdorf

jmp

#5 Post by jmp » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:51 am

As far as I know, WINE does not have a USB emulation layer. You'd need to use a virtual machine (KVM, VMWARE or VirtualBox) if you want to run Windows software in a Linux host and have access to USB devices.

LH4PI

#6 Post by LH4PI » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:57 pm

Thanks a lot for the prompt answer !

elaniobro

#7 Post by elaniobro » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:21 pm

jmp wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:51 am
As far as I know, WINE does not have a USB emulation layer. You'd need to use a virtual machine (KVM, VMWARE or VirtualBox) if you want to run Windows software in a Linux host and have access to USB devices.
I tried to wine piximetre... complete fail :(

So now, I use Fiji

hypancistrus

#8 Post by hypancistrus » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:24 pm

Slight hijack…

Is there an open source camera software for microscopes?

I saw OpenFlexure might have something…

I just bought a Hayear and hope it comes in today.

I bought an AMSCOPE MD35 and realized it was a toy and had poor optical properties.

SVBONY … better. But same.

I do have a DSLR, but waiting on the adapters to come in…

But I also wanted something easy, so I bought the Hayear.

I’m not sure what I want yet… but able to calibrate the camera for measuring, ability to sort images and do stacking operations?

Does anything exist that doesn’t cost money? I found some commercial software that might.

Hobbyst46

#9 Post by Hobbyst46 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:25 pm

hypancistrus wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:24 pm
Slight hijack…
Is there an open source camera software for microscopes?
Never thought about it but perhaps Fiji (ImageJ) includes capture.
Does anything exist that doesn’t cost money? I found some commercial software that might.
Yes. Download and try Micam (version 2, 3, etc).