Camera Purchase Paralysis

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
Geode

Camera Purchase Paralysis

#1 Post by Geode » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:12 pm

Hello all!

Hope everyone is having a good start to their new year.
Several months ago I purchased a used trinocular Accuscope 3025 and have slowly gotten more comfortable using it. I'm at a point in my studies where I need to start recording my findings for reports and such.
The scope came with a 1x camera mount (no brand label on it)... there are no lenses in it (see attached image).

I've researched cameras and even contacted a local scope seller but haven't been comfortable enough to make a purchase with little expertise and worry that I won't be able to return the item if it doesn't fit my needs (especially since many seemingly good cameras are coming from abroad).
So I'd like some advice. Here are my thoughts/requirements:

- I am sampling compost, soil, and compost teas/extracts with the scope. I am working mainly at 40x, 100x, and 400x magnifications. I am IDing functional groups of microbes including nematodes, protazoa, ciliates, fungi, and general bacteria (mainly shapes). I will also be measuring fungi and actinobacteria lengths/widths (of the former) so getting an image as close to the FOV is ideal.
- I want to be to able to easily take stills and high frame rate video to review and study the samples over and over.
- Due to some aberrations in my eyes, I am finding studying at high magnification very difficult, especially for long periods, so I want to be able to connect the camera directly to my Surface Book 2 for live viewing on a screen, and switching to the eyepieces if needed.
- Eventually I'd like to learn some counting/ID software for help with the samples. Perhaps some camera brands offer these options with their software.
- Initially I was concerned about portability, so I was looking at dedicated scope cameras, rather than mirrorless. However, I'm finding that perhaps my microscope is too big to be portable, itself. So, what I might do is purchase a smaller scope for field visits. This means a smaller dedicated camera that can be used on both scopes would be ideal.
- The local dealer I spoke to was showing be cameras that were upwards of $800. I'm honestly looking at spending max $300, maybe more, to start. Since this is all new to me. I already invested quite a bit on the scope with its plan objectives and such. A part of me wishes I spent less on the scope, and more on the camera hahaha
But here we are. If there is a scope that is ideal for my situation that is more expensive, please share. I can consider it or at least add it my wishlist.

Here is one that came up.
http://www.ioioa.com/Show.aspx?PID=461
I'm finding it difficult to understand how this would differ from say an $800+ camera that looks similar. Please forgive my ignorance, I just haven't tested scope cameras out before and they all look the same to me.

Any advice?
Thank you in advance!
Attachments
Screenshot_20210110-180954_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210110-180954_Gallery.jpg (67.23 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
Last edited by Geode on Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeteM

Re: Camera Purchase Paralysis

#2 Post by PeteM » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:34 am

Given your desire to make measurements, you might consider getting a camera with measurement software.

Forum member Robert Berdan recently did a review of a $600 Rising Cam 10 mp. camera with a 1" Sony sensor. Try to locate that thread - he did a great job comparing some alternatives. The Rising Cam unit works well with a straight through (no optics, 1x) C-mount adapter on many infinite scopes - likely including your AccuScope. That simple connection, likely the same as shown in your picture, will save you some additional cost in terms of adaptors and relay lenses.

It (the Rising Cam Sony-1"-sensor-based unit) seems to be a good camera (I bought one), with decent software, and is likely equivalent to something in excess of $1K from a microscope dealer. The same supplier also sells cameras with a bit less resolution for a bit less - but also with software. There's probably something around the $400 price point?

A cost-saving alternative - less the software - would be a used mirrorless camera body (or that HDMI camera). You might get something like an older Nikon Series 1 (also about a 1" sensor) with an adapter for C-mount for around $200. Try to get something with a remote release. If you go with a larger DSLR or mirrorless mega-megapixel sensor, the C-mount will likely cut off the view - requiring a photo relay lens of some sort. However, 10mp (now common in better 1" sensors) should be more than enough for good photo documentation. Even 5mp in a good camera should prove satisfactory, especially at the higher magnifications.

Geode

#3 Post by Geode » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:37 pm

PeteM wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:34 am
Given your desire to make measurements, you might consider getting a camera with measurement software.

Forum member Robert Berdan recently did a review of a $600 Rising Cam 10 mp. camera with a 1" Sony sensor. Try to locate that thread - he did a great job comparing some alternatives. The Rising Cam unit works well with a straight through (no optics, 1x) C-mount adapter on many infinite scopes - likely including your AccuScope. That simple connection, likely the same as shown in your picture, will save you some additional cost in terms of adaptors and relay lenses.

It (the Rising Cam Sony-1"-sensor-based unit) seems to be a good camera (I bought one), with decent software, and is likely equivalent to something in excess of $1K from a microscope dealer. The same supplier also sells cameras with a bit less resolution for a bit less - but also with software. There's probably something around the $400 price point?

A cost-saving alternative - less the software - would be a used mirrorless camera body (or that HDMI camera). You might get something like an older Nikon Series 1 (also about a 1" sensor) with an adapter for C-mount for around $200. Try to get something with a remote release. If you go with a larger DSLR or mirrorless mega-megapixel sensor, the C-mount will likely cut off the view - requiring a photo relay lens of some sort. However, 10mp (now common in better 1" sensors) should be more than enough for good photo documentation. Even 5mp in a good camera should prove satisfactory, especially at the higher magnifications.
Thanks Pete! I should have probably mentioned you offered me the awesome scope I'm using!
I will definitely look into the options you shared.

Thanks again

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:54 pm

Geode wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:12 pm
A part of me wishes I spent less on the scope, and more on the camera hahaha
Since one can only photograph what one sees through the microscope - you did put your money in the right place. ;)
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Geode

#5 Post by Geode » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:17 pm

75RR wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:54 pm
Geode wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:12 pm
A part of me wishes I spent less on the scope, and more on the camera hahaha
Since one can only photograph what one sees through the microscope - you did put your money in the right place. ;)
Good point :)
I guess I'm just a bit frustrated that I haven't had a clear path to make that jump into microphotography yet.. I will get there!

Greg Howald

#6 Post by Greg Howald » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:03 am

I have a great scope with terrific images and a very sophisticated digital wireless camera. The computer I have cannot match or come close to the resolution of the camera. So.... Pictures just aren't what you or I would want them to be. Just thought I'd mention it.
Greg

Geode

#7 Post by Geode » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:25 pm

Greg Howald wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:03 am
I have a great scope with terrific images and a very sophisticated digital wireless camera. The computer I have cannot match or come close to the resolution of the camera. So.... Pictures just aren't what you or I would want them to be. Just thought I'd mention it.
Greg
Thanks for the tip, Greg.
I have surfacebook 2. I suspect it has the power needed. I will make sure to look out for that when purchasing :)