EOS M6 ii so good but for...

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
NickMDal

EOS M6 ii so good but for...

#1 Post by NickMDal » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:57 am

The articulating touchscreen was (probably unintentionally) designed perfectly for microscopy. With the camera facing down, the thing flips straight up (to 90 degrees) in the perfect portrait position! It even articulates above camera level to sit exactly at eye level. but...

:cry: The image will only invert when it is extended to 180 :cry: I never checked before buying. Surely it would have a manual setting. Oh well... So close!

hans

Re: EOS M6 ii so good but for...

#2 Post by hans » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:38 am

Yes, annoying there is no manual override. I recently discovered the same thing on the Panasonic GX850.

NickMDal

#3 Post by NickMDal » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:58 pm

I wonder... Do you suppose there is a magnetic switch or something? I don't see anything under the window hinge or on the camera body where the screen lays. Thinking that there might be a mechanism that could be easily tripped. Any thoughts?

hans

#4 Post by hans » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:41 pm

Yeah I would guess a simple mechanical switch somewhere near the hinge. Might be possible to drill a small hole in a cover piece to access it. The GX850 I bought used and not in great cosmetic condition (some nicks and gouges in the case, battery door broken off) so I might try to open it up and have a look at some point.

NickMDal

#5 Post by NickMDal » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:43 am

I'd like to hear how it comes out. I bought the M6 ii from Abes of Maine. Found out it was an import the day it arrived. The owner calls to inform me and sell a warranty. I must have missed that on their website.

So they do the warranty repairs themselves. I'll ask if they know anything about the switch mechanism.

hans

#6 Post by hans » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:34 am

NickMDal wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:43 am
I'd like to hear how it comes out.
I started to disassembly the GX850, took out quite a few screws, and got one cosmetic/cover piece off. But from there it seemed like a lot more cover pieces would have to come off to access the hinge, some maybe held on with pressure-sensitive adhesive, and things were feeling pretty fragile so I gave up. Really unfortunate there is no manual override in the software. A long time ago I used Magic Lantern on an old Canon camera, seems like the sort of feature someone would have added, but I don't see anything similar for Panasonic cameras.