Will camera sensor overheat in Live View?

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
Crater Eddie

Will camera sensor overheat in Live View?

#1 Post by Crater Eddie » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:45 pm

I picked up a used Canon T3i camera recently and have been having some fun adapting it to my scope and taking some shots. Live View through the computer monitor with the Canon utility software sure is handy. But I worry about overheating the imaging sensor. I read all kinds of conflicting information online (surprise surprise) so I thought I would ask here. Do you folks let Live View run while perusing a slide, or just turn it on when you are ready to take a few shots?
CE

(Edit: I changed the subject line to better describe my question)
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

mrsonchus

Re: Will camera sensor overheat in Live View?

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:24 pm

Hi Ed, I as you'll know I use a DSLR in liveview with my BX50, and have always had the same reservation. As I replace one DSLR (Canon 1200D) with another (Canon D200) at significant cost to my already broken wallet, I find that I become ever more aware of this, although I don't have an answer that I regard as definitive either after several years in the hobby! I keep live-view on in Canon's Utility software when I'm on a roll with image-capture, a particularly good specimen or a definite purpose for the session pre-thought for example. Within reason though I turn the live-view window off, which drops the mirror but leaves the main-routine of the program running and ready to simply switch back on at the click of the mouse/touchpad button. I suppose my sort-of time limit for live-view, beyond which I start to feel a little uneasy re the sensor is about 10 minutes or less. This actually suits me very well I find, restrained mindfulness does seem to give me a satisfactory experience in this respect.

For long-duration video I'd probably go for, as I have-done with my stereo 'scope dissections, a relatively cheap C-mounted 'HDMI-industrial' camera or even a Toupcam (although with video the Toupcams are in my experience almost worthless as the frame rates are pathetic). For video these are amazingly good.

For stills I've finally been able to get good images with my stereo 'scope - after 'investing' a horrible sum in an SMZ800 and paraphernalia for DSLR photography through it. For stills I now use a Canon DSLR and for video a cheap HDMI 'industrial' camera - with the caveat still there of the sensor's vulnerability - if it is real?

Sorry I can't be much help Ed, but I certainly share your experience!
John B

Wes

#3 Post by Wes » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:47 pm

Crater Eddie wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:45 pm
I picked up a used Canon T3i camera recently and have been having some fun adapting it to my scope and taking some shots. Live View through the computer monitor with the Canon utility software sure is handy. But I worry about overheating the imaging sensor. I read all kinds of conflicting information online (surprise surprise) so I thought I would ask here. Do you folks let Live View run while perusing a slide, or just turn it on when you are ready to take a few shots?
CE

(Edit: I changed the subject line to better describe my question)
Not so much in Live View but I when I shoot RAW video with my Canon 50D (the sensor is not designed to shoot video so it tends to warm up quickly). I monitor the temperature from the Magic Lantern (firmware extension) menu and try to not let it exceed 45˚C.
Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

Roldorf

#4 Post by Roldorf » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:14 pm

Never had a problem as the battery runs out before it can do any damage I suppose. Never got round to buying a mains adaptor.

Unknown Brand: Optika SFX 91: Bresser Science Infinity: Canon 4000d
ImageImage

SWmicro

#5 Post by SWmicro » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:03 am

Crater Eddie wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:45 pm
Canon T3i ... Do you folks let Live View run while perusing a slide, or just turn it on when you are ready to take a few shots?
I do let lv run,

I have the Canon 60D, close cousin to the 600D/T3i.
I also have poor eyesight,
so in this last year (new lockdown hobby!) I have not been looking through my 'scope, only using live view, many hours a day sometimes.

If it is any consolation I have not noticed any ill effects, however I dont know how to monitor its heat ! (I must investigate this Magic Lantern that Wes mentioned)
I have two batteries so when one runs out I swap it for the other and continue on regardless, charging the spare at the same time. (the batteries have not yet* suffered either which has surprised me )
It only gets switched off to manipulate things, prepare another slide, check the videos with the PC etc. So it has quite a hard life :)

It was purchased second hand and well used previously by an amateur astronomer (which was the first reason/hobby I bought it for - before I got the mic' bug !) and it is still going strong, but badly in need of a sensor clean since it rarely has a 'real' lens on it.

*perhaps I am tempting providence by telling all this :( !

EDIT PS, I forgot to say :- I have mostly been interested in pond life rather than still-life. So a lot of watching and searching, and videoing because trying to compose an in-focus shot of the pesky critters is impossible :)

Crater Eddie

#6 Post by Crater Eddie » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:17 pm

A fellow that I know killed 2 of this same model of camera by recording church services for stay-at-home folks during the early days of the Pandemic before he found out about the overheating issue. I bought mine initially for some occasional astrophotography, but this past winter provided very few good nights for doing such. So I have been poking about with it on the microscope, trying out the Canon Utility and whatnot. Just to be on the safe side I guess I’ll leave Live View off until I spot something interesting then switch it on. I haven’t gotten a mains power adapter for it yet, still running on battery power, so that will limit my on-time anyway. Thanks all for the comments. I hope to have some shots worth showing before too long.
CE
Olympus BH-2 / BHTU
LOMO BIOLAM L-2-2
LOMO POLAM L-213 / BIOLAM L-211 hybrid
LOMO Multiscope (Biolam)
Cameras: Canon T3i, Olympus E-P1 MFT, Amscope 3mp USB

mootoom

#7 Post by mootoom » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:03 am

The good news is : most camera liveview overheating issues usually happen outdoor.

Anyone that frequently shooting picture outdoor under the sun, will learn that metal black camera body absorb the sun light very quick. Camera with metal body is also a outdoor nightmare during winter.