Help me choose a mirrorless camera?

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
ScienceMatters

Help me choose a mirrorless camera?

#1 Post by ScienceMatters » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:32 pm

Hi everyone,

I am another person just getting into microphotography who can’t decide which camera to buy. I want to be able to connect it to any of my 3 scopes and use it with darkfield and DIC, including video. So I know I will need something with a high dynamic range. I want a full frame sensor so I can use an NFK 2.5 photo eyepiece on my Olympus BHS rather than the pricey 1.67. Pixel size should be above 3 microns from what I can tell? It sounds like mirrorless is the way to go to avoid shutter vibrations. I don’t know what else is needed in order to get excellent results. I suppose I want the ability to control it remotely from my laptop too. My budget is up to maybe $1500 and I’m perfectly willing to buy used. What would you guys recommend? Canon EOS R seems to be popular and people seem to like the free Canon utility software, but I don’t know if that’s the best fit for my needs or not. I’m open to any brand. Thanks in advance.

MicroBob

Re: Help me choose a mirrorless camera?

#2 Post by MicroBob » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:29 pm

Hi,
electronical first shutter curtain is an important feature, not the slightest movement before the end of the exposure. Not all cameras have this feature.

Bob

ScienceMatters

#3 Post by ScienceMatters » Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:06 pm

Thanks, I have now read about why that’s important. That would also point me toward something like the Canon EOS R rather than the less expensive RP.

Seta

#4 Post by Seta » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:06 am

If you want FF you can look for a Sony A7 new old stock, they sell for around 600€

janvangastel

#5 Post by janvangastel » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:31 am

I use the Panasonic lumix G9 mirrorless camera, combined with a 0.5x adapter. I also use it for bird photography.

Sir

#6 Post by Sir » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:56 am

The Sony a7s ii can be found around that price range and has amazing low light performance, which could be useful for darkfield. Of course the a7s iii is a step up from that but much pricier. I haven't had direct experience with either of these cameras, but I do see they have silent shutter options. Does anyone know if they would be suitable for filming microscopy?

ScienceMatters

#7 Post by ScienceMatters » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:20 pm

I’m looking at the Sony A7iii and it does appear to be better than the Canon EOS R for my purposes — higher dynamic range, larger pixel size, known for good low-light performance. It has EFCS and supports remote live view too. So it’s my leading candidate now unless anyone can suggest something better in this price range. Thanks for the tip, Sir and Seta. Janvangastel, the LUMIX G9 looks nice but does not have a full-frame sensor. Thank you.

LouiseScot

#8 Post by LouiseScot » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:52 pm

Mirrorless is nice to have but dslrs you can tether with live view don't have the shutter vibration problem.

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo