How to attach a modern camera to this Zeiss Universal accessory?

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
Stonius

How to attach a modern camera to this Zeiss Universal accessory?

#1 Post by Stonius » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:14 am

Hi all;

This came with the scope - part number 47 30 23 - 9900.

It has an eyepiece inside for projection onto the focal plane and the bottom tube telescopes inside the top one - I assume so it can be made to be parfocal with the visual eyepieces?

Anyway it comes with an old Zeiss C35 camera setup which is redundant, including the eyepiece and metering setup. Now that cameras have live-view, there's no need.

I can balance my Canon camera on top and get pictures, but it's not the most stable, so I'm looking for an adapter that goes from the flange at the top of the white extension tube and terminates with a Canon lens mount.

Does such a thing exist? I'm sure others must have this issue too.

Cheers

Markus
Attachments
20210326_134834.jpg
20210326_134834.jpg (78.3 KiB) Viewed 2946 times
Last edited by Stonius on Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
His wife thinks he does protist too much.

MicroBob

Re: How to attach a modern camera to this Zeiss Universal accessory?

#2 Post by MicroBob » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:05 am

Hi Markus,
if you post a picture we will know what you have there.
You probably need a male Zeiss dovetail and a bajonett mount for your camera and some tubes in between. Does you photo tube contain a projective? If it fits for the C35 it would fit for a full frame digital camera too.

Bob

MichaelG.

#3 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:03 am

Some reasonable illustrative photos here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zeiss-47-30- ... 4481173126

Looks like it should dismantle quite easily

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Stonius

#4 Post by Stonius » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:10 pm

MicroBob wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:05 am
Hi Markus,
if you post a picture we will know what you have there.

Bob
Thanks Bob, I had the picture all ready and forgot to attach it.

I've added it to the original post in an edit.

Cheers

Markus

Stonius

#5 Post by Stonius » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:12 pm

MicroBob wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:05 am
Does you photo tube contain a projective? If it fits for the C35 it would fit for a full frame digital camera too.
yes, it has a small eyepiece inside the photo tube that presumably projects the image to the camera (a 6.3x IIRC).

Best,

Markus

Wes

#6 Post by Wes » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:50 pm

What you need is a Zeiss West 43.5 mm dovetail to either a male M42 or T2 adapter (see picture below). What worked for me was to add a M42 female to 52 mm male thread adapter but that could be any thread your camera lens accepts. As Bob had advised me at some point I bought a Canon 40 mm pancake lens that gives reasonable results for my APS-C sensor camera.

Zeiss Photomicroscope III BF/DF/Pol/Ph/DIC/FL/Jamin-Lebedeff
Youtube channel

MicroBob

#7 Post by MicroBob » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:03 pm

The Zeiss Universal uses chromatic corrections in the eyepieces so a Zeiss West eyepiece or projective should be part of the adaptation. There are two ways:

1.) Using a high eyepoint eyepiece (Brille) together with a pancake camera objective as Wes describes.

2.) Using a projective to project the image directly on the sensor of the camera.

Which is better depends on what components you have an which you can get hold of and the camera type. Some cameras offer only limited functions when used without a camera objective. Solution 2) includes less glass in the light path and dust shows less in the image. So I would suggest to keept the position of the projective and peplace the c35 with digital camera with sensor precisely in the film plane.

Your photo attatchment looks as if the shutter is part of the tube, not the camera. You might have to lock it in open position to use only the cameras shutter.

Stonius

#8 Post by Stonius » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:12 am

MicroBob wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:03 pm
The Zeiss Universal uses chromatic corrections in the eyepieces so a Zeiss West eyepiece or projective should be part of the adaptation. There are two ways:

1.) Using a high eyepoint eyepiece (Brille) together with a pancake camera objective as Wes describes.

2.) Using a projective to project the image directly on the sensor of the camera.

Which is better depends on what components you have an which you can get hold of and the camera type. Some cameras offer only limited functions when used without a camera objective. Solution 2) includes less glass in the light path and dust shows less in the image. So I would suggest to keept the position of the projective and peplace the c35 with digital camera with sensor precisely in the film plane.

Your photo attatchment looks as if the shutter is part of the tube, not the camera. You might have to lock it in open position to use only the cameras shutter.
I think I'll go with option 2. I'm planning on putting a Canon 5D Mk IV or a black magic pocket 4K on there. Both should work without a lens attached, and I like the idea of having as little glass as possible in the imaging train. both have electronic rolling shutters so hopefully I can remove the redundant and bulky shutter and eyepiece section. I may need a spacer or two, but once we're in M42 territory all my Astronomical gear will fit, so I'll have options.

Thanks for the help!

Markus