[HELP] - Hayear Cameras Setup & Software

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
elaniobro

[HELP] - Hayear Cameras Setup & Software

#1 Post by elaniobro » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:51 pm

Hi everyone. I just got my first ever scope camera for both my compound/stereo scope.

I got the compound scope to focus but can't for the life of me figure out how to get the stereo scope to focus.

Setup:
Hayear Camera
Camera Adapter
Swift Steroscope
Swift 350T Compound

I am also trying to figure out how to use this camera, I downloaded the software from Hayear, which is a clone of ToupLite for MacOS. I can't seem to gain any type of control on exposure, or any of the color adjustments. The software UI looks great, but it appears to be lacking a ton of functionality.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

mrsonchus

Re: [HELP] - Hayear Cameras Setup & Software

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:21 pm

Hi, I too have such a camera, not however a Hayear branded, and unable to use any Toupview re-badge as such. However what I do know is that these cameras, when attached to you PC via USB, have no ability to change the settings of the camera. The settings are only available via the camera's own built-in (and shall we say 'functional') software which takes the form of on-screen menus. These controls are only available (both visible and funtional) when connected to a screen via HDMI... I run mine direct to an HDMI monitor on my desk, no computer is needed or able to be used. USB is NOT used/connected. Your camera also likely has a remote control, which is able to run the software menus mentioned, as are any buttons on the body of the camera - these are only usable with an HDMI connection to a screen...
In USB connection to a PC the PC's basic web-cam software will be able to bring up the live image fine and if it's like mine give the ability to control the very basics including exposure and image/video taking....

However I thought the Hayear cameras were able to use the Toupview re-brand albeit in the lite version.... There is an important point to remember - when used with HDMI for video or stills, a micro-SD card must be inserted in the camera's slot to act as storage. When using USB and therefor the storage of an attached PC, it's essential that there is NOT a micro-SD (or whatever type it is) in the camera's slot. If left in, the PC will not be able to see and recognize (and therefore control of show the output of) the camera at all.

If you have a micro-SD card in the camera while trying to use Toupview (USB only and NOT HDMI) you MUST remove it.

In my experience these are great little cameras, mine shoots 4k video and others beautifully for recording stereo 'scope dissections, but the still image can be poor - these seem depend a LOT on the light available and the exposure times of the camera in still mode...

I posted a brief report when I got mine and tested it here in the forum.
John B

elaniobro

#3 Post by elaniobro » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:33 pm

Thank you for your reply. This is quite discerning to be honest. When I load up the Hayear software, I see a bunch of options and possibilities for adjusting the image/camera.

However, once I select the camera option, 90% of them go away. Why then, include it in the software if you can't even access it?

Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 12.32.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 12.32.30 PM.png (100.66 KiB) Viewed 15235 times

mrsonchus

#4 Post by mrsonchus » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:13 pm

In your image there is no device shown as recognized in the device list. Are you connected only with USB and is the camera's micro-SD card slot empty?
John B

elaniobro

#5 Post by elaniobro » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:36 pm

Sorry if I was not clear. Screenshot I shared, shows all the tools available. As soon as I plug in the Hayear and select it, all those tools disappear.

LouiseScot

#6 Post by LouiseScot » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:12 am

elaniobro wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:33 pm
Thank you for your reply. This is quite discerning to be honest. When I load up the Hayear software, I see a bunch of options and possibilities for adjusting the image/camera.

However, once I select the camera option, 90% of them go away. Why then, include it in the software if you can't even access it?

ImageScreen Shot 2021-04-03 at 12.32.30 PM.png
Hi
It's likely the functions that disappear aren't supported by your camera. Can you post a link to your particular model? By the looks of it, some of them at least don't allow settings to be changed. It should say in the sales blurb or user guide (if you're lucky enough to have one).

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

mrsonchus

#7 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:27 am

The functions are built-into the camera's own software, accessed via the remote control or the buttons on the camera. This menu system will only be usable and visible with HDMI connected screens/monitor. To be controlled from a PC (via USB) the operating sytem of the PC needs the presence of driver-software, as with all hardware connected internally (e.g. a keyboard or hard drive) or as external devices such as a camera or printer etc.

These drivers (small operating-system software add-on components for specific devices) are specific to each manufacturer's device for full functionality. Windows for example does contain a set of basic catch-all drivers for cameras such as simple web-cams - but only for the most basic settings which may be generic - the full command set of a device will need a full driver from the manufacturer of the camera in this case. I don't think these HDMI 'industrial' cameras as they're often called have seperate drivers available or built-into for example any versions or re-brands of Toupview. Their only access as far as I know to full functionality is via their own built-in drivers/software using the remote or buttons....
John B

elaniobro

#8 Post by elaniobro » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:04 pm

It seems super weird that all those tools are available in the "HAYEAR" branded software, only to disappear when the camera is selected.

Here, the Camera is selected and a majority of the tools disappear.
Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 5.57.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 5.57.00 PM.png (314.95 KiB) Viewed 15120 times
Even after taking a photo, those tools still do not work:
Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 5.59.41 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 5.59.41 PM.jpg (73.94 KiB) Viewed 15120 times

LouiseScot

#9 Post by LouiseScot » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:08 pm

elaniobro wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:04 pm
It seems super weird that all those tools are available in the "HAYEAR" branded software, only to disappear when the camera is selected.

Here, the Camera is selected and a majority of the tools disappear.
Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 5.57.00 PM.png

Even after taking a photo, those tools still do not work:
Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 5.59.41 PM.jpg
I think the remaining settings are all it can use. A different model might make better use of all the settings.

Louise
A Nikon CF plan 20x; A Swift 380T; A DIY infinity corrected focus rail system with a 40x/0.65 Olympus Plan, a 10x/0.30 Amscope Plan Fluor, and a 20x/0.75 Nikon Plan Apo

elaniobro

#10 Post by elaniobro » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:45 pm

Do you happen to know of a microscope camera that can make use of all those settings? I would be very interested in understanding which one can.

I do have an old SLR, but I figured the cost of an adapter is roughly if not more expensive than some of these dedicated scope cameras, hence I bought this Hayear.

LouiseScot

#11 Post by LouiseScot » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:55 pm

elaniobro wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:45 pm
Do you happen to know of a microscope camera that can make use of all those settings? I would be very interested in understanding which one can.

I do have an old SLR, but I figured the cost of an adapter is roughly if not more expensive than some of these dedicated scope cameras, hence I bought this Hayear.
I imagine it's Hayear's software? which is used by various Hayear cameras but probably only some support all the settings. What does the sales blurb say for your particular camera? Can you post a link? (via url chain link icon above).

Louise

elaniobro

#12 Post by elaniobro » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:03 pm

Hmm... sales blurb does not say much. But here it is:

Copy/paste:
http://download.hayear.com/content/?289.html

Link via chain icon:
Hayear

mrsonchus

#13 Post by mrsonchus » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:08 pm

ToupCams are able to use all functions with the actual ToupView version (i.e. the genuine and original version) whilst others are just using the ToupView with basic webcam capture program functionality.
The same funtionality is available with most webcam capture programs such as Windows own camera software, S-Eye is another. The best option is the remote control and an HDMI monitor with these cameras I think - no PC used.

As said perhaps some models use the whole program. To do this a device-driver is needed to allow capture software such as ToupView etc to communicate fully with the camera's functionality. Perhaps a search for Hayera camera device drivers would help?
John B

LouiseScot

#14 Post by LouiseScot » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:18 pm

elaniobro wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:03 pm
Hmm... sales blurb does not say much. But here it is:

Copy/paste:
http://download.hayear.com/content/?289.html

Link via chain icon:
Hayear
Ok, so it supports what it says it does but no more. Looks like control is via the handset or push buttons on the camera.
Louise

LouiseScot

#15 Post by LouiseScot » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:23 pm

ps there is a camera function update here http://www.hayear.com/list/?18_1.html
Not sure if you've downloaded it already? I take it you have driver installed? There seems to be a user manual to download here http://www.hayear.com/down/?18_296.html

Louise

elaniobro

#16 Post by elaniobro » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:46 pm

I assume you just save it to a SD card, and put said card into camera and voila? I am not seeing instructions on the link you provided. And thank you for sending the link(s). Not sure why I have been unable to find anything via search :shock:

LouiseScot

#17 Post by LouiseScot » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:57 pm

elaniobro wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:46 pm
I assume you just save it to a SD card, and put said card into camera and voila? I am not seeing instructions on the link you provided. And thank you for sending the link(s). Not sure why I have been unable to find anything via search :shock:
There is a sort of pdf manual to download if you look. There is also some stuff on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/HAYEAR-Microscop ... 868&sr=8-1 which, if you read through it, suggests the interface is quite limited in functionality and that the camera is mainly for displaying live video via hdmi. The other link I posted takes you here http://www.hayear.com/down/?18_340.html if you follow it. It looks like some basic bugfixes and minor update. It seems the handset only works in hdmi mode.

Louise

elaniobro

#18 Post by elaniobro » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:27 am

Gotcha. Reading the user manual I am now even more perplexed. Looking at the screenshots for the Windows/Mac software, it appears the Windows version has more tooling
:cry: :evil:

FML, so now I need to go out and buy a chrome book so I can actually use more features on this camera.

LouiseScot

#19 Post by LouiseScot » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:35 am

elaniobro wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:27 am
Gotcha. Reading the user manual I am now even more perplexed. Looking at the screenshots for the Windows/Mac software, it appears the Windows version has more tooling

FML, so now I need to go out and buy a chrome book so I can actually use more features on this camera.
I dunno, it's not a camera I'd buy myself. An actual Toupcam is pretty good.
Louise

LouiseScot

#20 Post by LouiseScot » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:55 am

elaniobro wrote:

Personally I think you'd be better off with a better (probably a non hdmi) camera

Louise

elaniobro

#21 Post by elaniobro » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:17 am

Thanks for all the feedback. I am highly considering returning this camera.

I want a camera that I can use on both my compound and stero swift scopes. (Both trinocular) I want to hook it up to my macbook, adjust some settings and snap a photo. No matter how hard I google/search all I have been able to find is hayear and a motic camera or two.

Do you have any recommendations? I want to be able to focus stack on my stereo scope and observe fungi/spores on my compound and be able to take measurements.

Video is super nice, but I do not think I need 4k

LouiseScot

#22 Post by LouiseScot » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:42 am

elaniobro wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:17 am
Thanks for all the feedback. I am highly considering returning this camera.

I want a camera that I can use on both my compound and stero swift scopes. (Both trinocular) I want to hook it up to my macbook, adjust some settings and snap a photo. No matter how hard I google/search all I have been able to find is hayear and a motic camera or two.

Do you have any recommendations? I want to be able to focus stack on my stereo scope and observe fungi/spores on my compound and be able to take measurements.

Video is super nice, but I do not think I need 4k
Hi

I don't want to get into the business of recommending but Touptek do a range. The 5MP TP505000A usb3 scmos eyepiece camera is probably adequate
http://www.touptek.com/product/showprod ... g=en&id=83 It looks like there is only Touplite software for Mac os though. Amscope offer a range with their brand stamped on e.g. https://www.amscope.com/cameras/10mp-us ... 10-mp.html
All depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. I don't know what fitting your stereo scope has? Eyepiece cameras have a standard 23.2mm barrel which drops into eyepiece tubes and often into trinocular tubes. Maybe your stereo scope can take a dslr?

Louise

LouiseScot

#23 Post by LouiseScot » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:50 am

Amscope do dslr adapters but you need a trinocular tube as with a dslr they are too heavy for eyepiece use:
https://www.amscope.com/accessories/ada ... pters.html

Louise

elaniobro

#24 Post by elaniobro » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:22 am

Yep, both my scopes are trinoc.

Thank you again for the links. I wish there was a site that just had good reviews for all cameras, brands and software. Would make researching way easier.

LouiseScot

#25 Post by LouiseScot » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:49 am

elaniobro wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:22 am
Yep, both my scopes are trinoc.

Thank you again for the links. I wish there was a site that just had good reviews for all cameras, brands and software. Would make researching way easier.
Swift also market some cameras with their own label stamped on. Maybe you can get the same things on Ebay or AliExpress or whatever - they are all made in China anyway!
https://www.amazon.com/Megapixel-Micros ... r=8-3&th=1
Omax, likewise.

Plenty of useful info on here too e.g. https://www.microbehunter.com/microscop ... =9&t=11752

Seek and ye shall find!

Louise

MichaelG.

#26 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:37 pm

elaniobro wrote:
Unfortunately ... that is quite a common state of affairs

ToupLite for example is the ‘poor relation’ of ToupView
http://touptek.com/download/showdownloa ... g=en&id=28

The difference seems to be that Hayear has cleverly combined both versions into one package.

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

elaniobro

#27 Post by elaniobro » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:31 pm

MichaelG. wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:37 pm
Unfortunately ... that is quite a common state of affairs

ToupLite for example is the ‘poor relation’ of ToupView
http://touptek.com/download/showdownloa ... g=en&id=28

The difference seems to be that Hayear has cleverly combined both versions into one package.

MichaelG.

Yep, I downloaded the ToupLite, Swift, & Hayear software. All 3 are identical in both UI/UX and functionality. I would really love to hear from a Windows and a Hayear camera user what the software and functionality looks like. (Screenshots would be helpful). I would really like to confirm my theory vs installing Windows on my machine. All thought, I did I spend the better part of last night cleaning up my old Macbook Air, making space to potentially partition it to run Windows 10 on it for the sole purpose of better software to use with any camera I choose to keep.

As it stands I am heavily leaning towards returning my current Hayear and its reduction lenses while I continue to flush out my research into a setup.
e.g.
  • Parition Mac with Windows and keep Hayear
  • Buy SLR C-Mount Adapter
  • Buy a different camera altogether
  • Buy a phone mount Adapter and place it on trinoc
Clearly they all have Pros/Cons, I just need/want to better understand all of them.

jmp

#28 Post by jmp » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:37 pm

I've installed the software from Hayear in Windows, both the toupview-like interface and the newer 's-eye' software from their website but I like the toupview-like interface better. In Linux I've used webcamoid (liked it, no frills video/photo capture). The level of control over camera parameters that you can expect for Hayear cameras, regardless of the operating system and software used, varies depending on the model of camera that you have.

As it has been stated before, some of the Hayear cameras expose a limited set of configurable parameters to a computer over the USB link. In other words, for these group of cameras you can only control the resolution and if capture will be color or black/white. Exposure, white balance, etc, can't be adjusted through software via USB, regardless of the program and/or operating system that you use on your computer; the firmware in the camera does not expose those parameters over the USB and there's nothing that can be done to work around it. These cameras are likely meant for industrial inspection microscopes tied directly to HDMI monitors, were users expect to get a reasonable image of say a PCB or the like, without having to fiddle with the camera to fine tune the image. In general these cameras are not expensive (around $100).

Of course, Hayear also produces other camera models that provide full control of all camera settings through the USB port. For these cameras all of those capture options that you see in the software (white balance, exposure, etc) will be enabled and the software will let you change their values. Cameras on this category would probably be better suited for microscopy or astronomy, and tend to be more expensive ($500 or more?).

The model that I bought from EBAY explicitly stated that all capture parameters were automatic when working in USB mode, but could be manually adjusted when in HDMI mode, so I knew what I was getting. To change camera parameters that are not exposed over USB but that can be accessed through the HDMI interface I either plug the camera to a monitor (easiest) or use an HDMI capture card (around $20) to grab the camera image from the HDMI port directly on the PC (more convenient). Parameters that are changed using the HDMI interface are stored and survive camera on/off cycles. Thus if you change the auto white balance from tungsten to daylight the setting will be stored and used even if you connect the camera to a PC using the USB link. Going over HDMI->change parameter->OFF->ON->USB->capture cycles is definitely a pain though.

I've found that a program called IC Measure alleviates some of the drawbacks from the cheap Hayear cameras by doing on-the-fly processing of the capture video stream, at the expense of some CPU/GPU usage on the PC. In particular the HDR (high dynamic range) feature compensates for the tendency of this cameras to overall darken the image if an opaque object is in the field of view. The same goes for applying a custom color correction matrix, or changing the color balance of the image. All this can be done during live capture, but at the expense of some drop in the frame rate and some lag (depending on the PC).

Hope this helps

DonSchaeffer

#29 Post by DonSchaeffer » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:09 pm

I use S-Eye for the microscope and all the controls work. It does receive images from my digital microscopes but the controls are closed. I make screen prints of my digital microscope images. The screen print program i use has a wide range of good image controls.

elaniobro

#30 Post by elaniobro » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:57 pm

Thank you @JMP for the detailed post. I think a large part of the problem is not having a Windows environment. That already reduces not only functionality, but software availability by nearly 75%.
DonSchaeffer wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:09 pm
....I've found that a program called IC Measure alleviates some of the drawbacks from the cheap Hayear cameras....
I was unaware but what `Industrial` meant in the context of cameras, but the way you explained it makes perfect sense.
DonSchaeffer wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:09 pm
...These cameras are likely meant for industrial inspection microscopes tied directly to HDMI monitors...
Thanks again for your reply, looks like I have some more reading and internet forum scouring to do.