[HELP] - Hayear Cameras Setup & Software

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
elaniobro

Re: [HELP] - Hayear Cameras Setup & Software

#31 Post by elaniobro » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:01 pm

In doing more research and the likes, the Hayear camera I got, is clearly meant to be used as a stero scope microscope. It also does not have any of the features I am/was looking for.

Optixcam, however, does appear to have most if not all the functionality I am seeking. Further more, I do believe that being a MacOS user will limit my software choices, and even limit some functionality. I plan to bootcamp my mac to take advantage of the WIN software once I get my new camera.

Thank you all for your guidance, knowledge sharing, support and help.

Gasman

#32 Post by Gasman » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:23 pm

Hi guys
A bit late to the party with this post which I came across shortly after ordering I think the same camera as elaniobro the Hayear 4K hdmi. I ordered it from Amazon although it was a lot cheaper on eBay but the excellent returns set up from Amazon swayed me.
Attached to my Swift stereo trinoc tube, plugging in via usb the display kept giving an annoying ‘jump’ , tried a few software apps I have and the display was ....so so not as good as what I expected and then trying it on hdmi via a little 4K capture card was only marginally better so I fired up one of the apps ‘S-EyE’ and decided to compare the same shot through the Hayear via usb, Hdmi and also my little 5meg Toupcam and placing all three images side by side same software,same orientation,same mag the little Toupcam was surprisingly the winner in both clarity and saturation. I also tried the camera in Altami Studio v4 my software of choice having been given a license over a year ago to beta test it, not recognised at all via usb but strangely it was recognised in Hdmi which might have had something to do with the usb capture card I used I’m not sure??. So the upshot of this anticipated purchase is its now been returned and I’m on the brink of ordering the 10meg usb microscope camera from Swift.
Steve

elaniobro

#33 Post by elaniobro » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:01 pm

Steve: Would/could you please post the pictures of the various cameras for us to see as a side-by-side comparisson? ( I am still in the market for a camera ) I think not only myself, but many others, will benefit from seeing this. Thank you!

Gasman

#34 Post by Gasman » Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:23 pm

elaniobro wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:01 pm
Steve: Would/could you please post the pictures of the various cameras for us to see as a side-by-side comparisson? ( I am still in the market for a camera ) I think not only myself, but many others, will benefit from seeing this. Thank you!
Oops sorry when I decided to return the camera I deleted them. I’ve accumulated that much crap on my pc been doing a bit of pc housekeeping :? I’d be happy to post a review on the Swift when I get it not that it helps the comparison much!.
Steve

Gasman

#35 Post by Gasman » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:31 am

Forgot to mention that I had to use a 0.5x reduction lens with the Hayear to get similar fov but I don't think that affected anything. Hayear is probably fine for live hdmi displays on a monitor but not when using with a pc.
Steve

Gasman

#36 Post by Gasman » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:55 pm

Gasman wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:23 pm
elaniobro wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:01 pm
Oops sorry when I decided to return the camera I deleted them. I’ve accumulated that much crap on my pc been doing a bit of pc housekeeping :? I’d be happy to post a review on the Swift when I get it not that it helps the comparison much!.
Steve
Update
managed to find and restore the pics only to come against the restricted size of images for the forum so just uploaded a screen grab to this hosting site (never used it before so sorry for the ads!) These are shots of some crystals under crossed polarized light.
Sorry inappropriate site I'll find another!
HTH
Steve

elaniobro

#37 Post by elaniobro » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:05 pm

imgur.com works pretty well.

mork2021

#38 Post by mork2021 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:01 am

I too purchased a Hayear camera. I too have been through the wringer, trying to find a way to use it effectively. I did not get an adapter with it, and make do with a fandom adapter that was passed along to me with a "Novel" 2MP dedicated microscope camera. The comparison has taught me a good deal. I don't know how I overlooked this forum, as many of my questions are answered in this very thread! I am a stubborn GNU/Linux user, but in this case I was forced to experiment with Windows and MacOS solutions, however since I have not used them for a long while, I don't remember much about the capabilities of the software. Like others I have noticed that the micro-SSD card must be removed for USB; also, if I am not mistaken, the power cable should not be engaged when using USB.

My camera model is "HY-2307", represented online as a 21 megapixel "industrial" camera. It is recognized by my OS as a "Venus" camera. I believe it is manufactured by Z-Star Electronics. On GNU/Linux, I was able to see the following:
Driver Info:
Driver name : uvcvideo
Card type : HY-2307
Bus info : usb-0000:00:14.0-9
Driver version : 5.15.16
Capabilities : 0x84a00001
Video Capture
Metadata Capture
Streaming
Extended Pix Format
Device Capabilities
Device Caps : 0x04200001
Video Capture
Streaming
Extended Pix Format
I have used webcamoid, which usually is the one reliable software that works and allows some access to obscure controls, like a Convolution matrix effect, inversion, black and white, but not, reliably, anything to control the exposure.

Cheese, a Gnome webcam utility, can display and take snapshots, however, the controls are almost none. Guvcview worked, and like some other utilities, like kamoso, works once, then stops working. This is a frustrating experience.

On a miniature CD that came with the camera was a utility, I believe it turned out to be ToupLite. It is almost useless on GNU/Linux.

HDMI has been the most useful, and somewhat aggravating way to access this camera. Adjusting color balance is an unusual exercise, requiring, if I recall, the use of a numerical scheme to adjust each color channel independently. I also experienced that changes I made on HDMI persist once booted up by USB2. It is possible to do some adjustments on HDMI with the remote control---an interesting piece, like something from a child's toy. Somehow, the colors are coming up pretty ok on the PC.

I also have a Canon Mirrorless camera, for which I purchased an AmScope adapter that works on my scope. I am using a nice utility, Entangle, on Linux to control that camera; so far I like it well.

The software---various versions were mentioned---is also similar to AmScope offerings that are available for GNU/Linux for some of their cameras. But for cost, I might try one of them. I am saving my money for a RisingCam camera, which comes with better software. A friend uses a camera with a cooled sensor for his fluorescence research microscopy. He uses AmScope software; it' is amazing.

I think the firmware of some cameras is more sophisticated, so giving "capabilities" of different kinds to different cameras. GNU/Linux has a single driver, V4L2, for all of these USB cameras. Guvcview gives access to a number of capabilties for the Novel Cam, in the Still image control mode, however, none at all for the Hayear Venus HY-2307.

Does anyone know whether a good programmer can take advantage of more options with these devices, or is this all the capability that is ever going to be available? Are there options that can be accessed by a good programmer? (I am not a programmer).

DonSchaeffer

#39 Post by DonSchaeffer » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:42 pm

A lot of people are having trouble interfacing with Mac equipment. Digital microscopes state that they don't work with Macs. This may be an extension of that problem.

josmann

#40 Post by josmann » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:06 am

I picked up the 2307 this week to test out its feasibility as a hobbyist cam. It just arrived today. I love that the mini disc it comes with is literally a burned CD-R. Doesn’t even have a label :lol:

This should be a real trip. I’m hoping I can find a reasonable way to actually use it. Has anyone attempted to use the microSD card slot?

It’s a shame that there are seemingly no easy to use, high quality, and affordable USB cams out there.
The highest quality live-streamed microscopy in the world.
Sundays around 8PST: https://www.youtube.com/@diettoms/streams
Occasionally (for now): https://www.twitch.tv/diettoms

Join the Discord: https://discord.gg/FgpUUnJaSE