solvent information required

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
lagoonatic

Re: solvent information required

#31 Post by lagoonatic » Wed May 26, 2021 8:23 pm

apochronaut wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 12:14 pm

At first, I did think I had created a firm precipitate on the glass somehow but wiping it with a finger shows it to be actually pliable, yet tenaciously adherent to the glass and despite it's apparently thin structure, resistant to any solvents yet tried. Right now I have a wad of tissue on it soaked in " Nature Clean" floor cleaner, which has tea tree oil in it. Maybe? I ended up having to take a bath in it, after I got sprayed by the skunk.

I have not gone to get turpentine yet. We have no open hardware stores. I may have some at the farm or I will just boil some trees.
Since it now appears to be a physical obstacle, here's a different approach: FirstContact Polymer http://www.photoniccleaning.com/ I used it to remove a hundred years of tenacious grime from a Cooke Triplet lens I had found for an 8x10 camera - worked wonders.

Matador

#32 Post by Matador » Thu May 27, 2021 4:10 am

apochronaut wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 10:49 am
Matador wrote:
Wed May 26, 2021 4:01 am
what about an "aromatic" solvent such as xylene or toluene ?
I tried n-heptane. Nothing, quick anyway.
Heptane is an aliphatic alkane solvant, not aromatic. So while heptane is a very hydrophobic solvant (solvatation by van der walls and hydrophilic interactions), it doee not make pi-stacking interaction (no free pi orbitals to stack). Try toluene or xylene (or naphtalene).

farnsy

#33 Post by farnsy » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:11 am

I had a great deal of sticky adhesive residue in a non-microscopy project that didn't respond to solvents or acids and was extremely difficult to remove mechanically. Stronger and stronger solvents mostly started attacking the plastic that was part of the project without doing anything to the adhesive. Someone recommended a sodium hydroxide solution. That dissolved it like a charm (though it did take some time) and didn't harm the plastic or metal involved. You might give it a shot.

I actually found that the same adhesive could be dissolved by a concentrated baking soda solution, but it took a lot more time.

tracar

#34 Post by tracar » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:54 am

Clean it with some Spray9
Works great on most things