[HELP] Struggling to find a right microscope for a computer vision research project

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
raymak

[HELP] Struggling to find a right microscope for a computer vision research project

#1 Post by raymak » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:00 am

Hi everyone,

I am a total novice so any help is greatly appreciated.

I would like to conduct sperm analysis by running image processing/computer vision algorithms on semen samples. It is quite easy to find a microscope with the right level of mag (400X-1000X) but as you can imagine, for my project to work, it is necessary to stream the images to a computer. I purchased an AmScope B120C-E1 microscope off Amazon but unfortunately the camera cannot be attached to one of the higher mag eyepieces and so live video does not have the desired level of magnification.

At this point I'm really struggling to find a right microscope that:
  • has a camera through which live video can be captured & streamed to a computer (in fact, directly observing the samples through eyepieces is not necessary), and
  • video provides right level of magnification (400X-1000X) -- I assume digital zoom won't work because it reduces the resolution causing sperms to be very blurry but please correct me if I'm wrong, and
  • has a decent frame rate for motility/movement analysis (anything lower than 24 fps is not ideal) - higher latency though is tolerable as the result does not need to be real-time
Thanks a lot.
/K