Richter-Optica: Have You Vetted This Company?

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
linuxusr

Richter-Optica: Have You Vetted This Company?

#1 Post by linuxusr » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:52 pm

I’m thinking about plunging feet first into photomicrography. I first began a discussion with tech support at microscopeworld.com and resolved that I would opt for a dedicated camera via c-mount as I did not want to jury-rig a DSLR via eyetube with a t-mount, as my phototube/c-mount precludes a DSLR.

I will begin with a Zeiss 0.5x c-mount adapter that costs about as much as a stereomicroscope: ~ $400.00.

My retirement budget precludes Zeiss Axiocam 208: ~ $1,750.00.
Instead I’m thinking about the “budget”, serviceable Richter Optica DCM5.3, 5.1 megapixels, for $649.00.

The website states that the software is included and that it is compatible with Linux, which I run. The problem is that the website richter-optica.com has no “About,” no “Contact.” I have written them and asked if I could vet the software but have not received a response. Hardware is only as good as the software that supports it and if the software is wonky, then that’s a problem.

Any opinions on or experience with this company as well as opinions on how I am proceeding? Your insights are always appreciated.
Nikon AlphaPhot 2 < Zeiss Primostar 3, Full Köhler; Axiocam 208 Color < UHD LG
Aller Anfang ist schwer.

75RR

Re: Richter-Optica: Have You Vetted This Company?

#2 Post by 75RR » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:24 pm

From the look of the products on richter-optica.com it would seem that they do not make anything, they just re-badge them.

You should be able to obtain the exact same products cheaper elsewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/Megapixel-Micros ... 562&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Megapixel-Micros ... 28&sr=8-11
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

farnsy

#3 Post by farnsy » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:12 pm

I believe Richter Optica is the house brand of Microscope World. I wouldn't expect to be able to contact them separately.

EDIT: I take it back. I guess "Swift" is the house brand of Microscope World. I don't know about Richter Optica. Maybe they both are.

75RR

#4 Post by 75RR » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:05 pm

farnsy wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:12 pm
I believe Richter Optica is the house brand of Microscope World. I wouldn't expect to be able to contact them separately.

EDIT: I take it back. I guess "Swift" is the house brand of Microscope World. I don't know about Richter Optica. Maybe they both are.
https://www.microscopeworld.com/s-358-r ... ptica.aspx
Zeiss Standard WL (somewhat fashion challenged) & Wild M8
Olympus E-P2 (Micro Four Thirds Camera)

Scarodactyl

#5 Post by Scarodactyl » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:13 am

I think Swift is owned by Motic?

farnsy

#6 Post by farnsy » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:29 am

I think you are right. I see references to Swift being a member of the Motic Group alongside National Optical. I had heard they were the microscope world house brand and this site seems to imply some kind of relationship, but that evidence doesn't seem very strong. Probably just a partner or distributor.

Getting back to Richter-Optica, they are owned by 259 Holdings, Inc., which lists microscopeworld.com as its website. So I guess that is the house brand.