Hdmi imaging anyone?

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
Gasman

Hdmi imaging anyone?

#1 Post by Gasman » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:43 pm

Hi guys
Looking around for a new camera for imaging I did wonder if any one has experience of imaging using hdmi type cameras and if they can give high def screen shots comparable to usb connected ones?. Reading up on a few in particular the Hayear 4K range they have some nice specs. I don’t envisage using the video side of these cameras (which is most probably what they are designed for) but the ability to take hd screen shots sounds tempting.
Thanks
Steve

mrsonchus

Re: Hdmi imaging anyone?

#2 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:59 pm

John B

Gasman

#3 Post by Gasman » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:07 pm

Yes I’ve seen that camera advertised a few times John and did think they were a little shall we say optimistic about the claim of 48meg on the sensor!. You happy with this camera?
Steve

mrsonchus

#4 Post by mrsonchus » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:15 pm

For video - yes it's very handy indeed for use with my stereo 'scope - the remote control is so useful, no need for a computer link. The camera will record to a microSD card and the live-view is absolutely lag-free on an accompanying monitor on my desk where the stereo 'scope is. Takes a bit of getting used to as there's very little instruction at-all, but certainly has it's use as the video, at 4K and below is really very nice once you get the hang of the rather idiosyncratic nature of the camera. For stills I rate a DSLR tehtered to a laptop via USB and Canon's excellent utility program as the best without a doubt. For video the tiny HDMI cam has such convenience...
John B

MicroBob

#5 Post by MicroBob » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:58 am

Hi Steve,
most digital photo cameras have HDMI output, but in some cases not all screen icons can be switched off. Since youtubers value "clean HDMI output" more cameras tend to have this option. Newer SONY DSLM cameras have this option and allow for top class micro photos and videos.

Bob

micro

#6 Post by micro » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:53 pm

The dslr and micro four third photography cameras are generally better than the usb cameras. The usb cameras can be really hit or miss so you have to lookup the specific model you are interested in and see what people have uploaded with them. The only issue with dslr and micro 4/3 is finding adapters that work and are parfocal with the eyepieces. 4k footage also makes a huge difference in image quality.

Gasman

#7 Post by Gasman » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:42 pm

Just to add a footnote to this post, I did eventually buy the 4K hdmi camera from Hayear and also a good hdmi capture card but found the camera a huge disappointment , the imaging via direct usb connection flickered and jumped and the still shots I wanted by hdmi were not as good as my little 5meg Toupcam, needless to say I took advantage of Amazons excellent returns set up. I have since bought the 10meg Swift sc1003 camera and extremely pleased with it especially on my new stereo scope.
I also experimented with trying the hdmi from my Nikon dslr on the microscope after buying a mini hdmi lead off eBay. Unbeknown to me before hand that my Nikon d5500 doesn’t like using hdmi without a lens on and flatly refused to work maybe that’s a thing with all Nikon’s it certainly is with mine so my brief fling with hdmi has now drawn to an end at least for now!. :?
Actually using the Nikon without a lens on the trinoc tube connected by a 3D adaptor of my own design does work rather well via usb and with some tether software from my Astro days ‘BackYardNikon’ works pretty good as it has some excellent tools such as FWHM for focusing.

redash

#8 Post by redash » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:56 am

I am using Samsung Nx 500 camera, which delivers clean HDMI video at 1080P 30fps. I can able to capture the video though usb capture card.

VoxylMicro

#9 Post by VoxylMicro » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:09 pm

I have been supplying HDMI stand-alone cameras since 2013. Not all cameras are the same, even if the specifications say they are. The 4K and Full HD models we offer have an HDMI and USB2.0/USB3.0 interface. The resolution is the same with both interfaces, but the frame rate is typically faster through HDMI. Also, in HDMI mode, it is a much cleaner and easier to use interface. It's extremely simple to change camera settings, capture videos and still images. The only downside is that the captured images are stored on a full size SD card or USB drive. Of coarse through USB into a PC, you can store the images anywhere on your computer.