Camera FOV help

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
Cromwell7950

Camera FOV help

#1 Post by Cromwell7950 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:59 pm

Hello all, I have recently purchased an Amscope SM-4TP and I am very happy with it. However I am having one issue and that is with the camera I am using and the camera can only see about 1/3rd of the actual image I can view through the eyepieces. So i have a very small square of camera view inside my huge circle when viewing through the eye pieces. I believe this is field of view? I would like my camera to be able to see more of the actual image than just a small part of it.

As for what i am using:
Microscope: SM-4TP Amscope
Camera: Hayear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015U163T0?ps ... ct_details
Trinocular adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079MLW5B3?ps ... ct_details (FMA050)

I had thought the 0.5x reduction lens would help me get closer to capturing the entire circle but its still pretty far off. What do I need to do to get closer to viewing the entire field of view, or as close as I can get to it?
Is the sensor in the camera i purchased just too small? I'm not very familiar with optics and this is my first microscope which I use for electronic repair.

I appreciate any help. If I missed any important information please let me know.

Alexander

Re: Camera FOV help

#2 Post by Alexander » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:51 am

Your microscopes FOV is a circle while your cameras FOV is a 2x3 rectangle which must fit into the circle. Even with a perfect match when the corners of the rectangle touch the border of the circle it shows only about 50 % of the circles area.

The sensor of your camera is quite small. To compensate for this a lens with negative magnification is used. Your 0.5x lens is possibly still too strong. You may try a 0.4x or a 0.37x for a wider FOV. Overdoing this will result in corner vignetting.

mete

#3 Post by mete » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:25 am

As Alexander wrote, „entire“ view might mean different things because microscope‘s view is circular, sensor is rectangular. Assuming your camera has these specs:

1/2.33" (~ 6.08 x 4.56 mm) diagonal: 7.60 mm 4:3

and assuming your microscope‘s tube is totally filled with image and it is 23mm (as it writes on its spec):

If you really want entire view, 4.56mm should match to 23mm with camera optics (0.5x you mentioned). This will have vignetting. 4.56/23=0.20x needed

If you want entire view without vignetting, then 7.60mm should match to 23mm. 7.60/23=0.33 needed. This will have no vignetting but cut some areas since sensor is rectangular.

You can try something less than 0.5x. The image might not fill the entire tube (23mm) so my calculation 0.33x above is a lower limit which might cause vignetting in practice. So Alexander‘s recommendation 0.4x-0.37x might be a good idea.

Cromwell7950

#4 Post by Cromwell7950 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:50 am

Alright let me provide a rough image i just made in MS paint to illustrate about how much i can see and how much i want to see.
So i can approximately only see inside the black rectangle, id like to be able to roughly see about as much as the red rectangle (yeah i know its more of a square, my MS paint skills arent great)
With my 0.5x reduction lens thats still all im getting. I figured the 0.5x lens would bring me closer to roughly the red rectangle. I have a 0.35x different adapter and lens completely coming in the mail, im hoping that will bring it closer to the edges of the circle.

https://prnt.sc/1xpfu1z

Cromwell7950

#5 Post by Cromwell7950 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:40 pm

I received my 0.35 lens today, everything looks fantastic. looks like .5 was still too strong as Alexander suggested. Thanks everyone!