Imaging system for an Olympus CX43

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
Darryn

Imaging system for an Olympus CX43

#1 Post by Darryn » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:12 am

Hi all,

I recently upgraded and purchased a CX43 from Olympus that I had hoped to use with a Nikon Z5. I thought I made it clear to the sales rep what I wanted (even drew a rectangle within a circle to represent the field of view overlapping the camera sensor) and was a bit surprised that the attachments suggested, and subsequently sold to me, would work. After testing the camera system on arrival this surprise was justified as the image only partially covers the sensor.
DSC_0494 (Copy).JPG
DSC_0494 (Copy).JPG (124.96 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
After being told by Olympus they cannot help I am now examining other options to mount the Z5. Some of the options I have found on this forum and elsewhere include:
1. spending a fortune with lmscope;
2. purchasing a U-SPT, PE 2.5x and Photomicro Adapter L;
3. purchasing a PM10-a assembly and modify to suit;
4. using a teleconverter.

My inclination is to try to put together option 2 however the teleconverter idea seems cheap and easy if I use an older Nikon F mount version. Regardless, I would appreciate some advice from those with more knowledge.

I have a couple of concerns with regards to using the U-SPT/adapter L combination. Reading through the various resources/posts it seems that the camera sensor must be precisely aligned across the image plane. If I am using an OM to Nikon Z adapter this will increase the distance between the sensor and eyepiece. Would this cause problems?

Also, I believe that the CX43 takes a 42 mm dovetail whereas the U-SPT is 38 mm. Would this cause any difficulties?

Regarding the teleconverter solution is it just a matter of mounting it within the setup I have already purchased or would I need an extension? For those who have done this would a 2x converter be sufficient?
20211025_162748 (Copy).jpg
20211025_162748 (Copy).jpg (171.06 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have no experience solving this problem and would prefer to avoid paying shipping for and collecting a variety of components I don't want (like those just purchased from Olympus!).

Regards,

Darryn