GH5 m4/3 on vintage zeiss

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
Cristian11

GH5 m4/3 on vintage zeiss

#1 Post by Cristian11 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:28 pm

Hello. I'm planning to buy a vintage Carl Zeiss Jena microscope. It has Apochromat objectives and darkfield.

I also possess a GH5 camera with m4/3 sensor. Is there a way to mount this to the oculars or directly to the microscope head ?

I've found something on lmscope but it's like 1300$

Is there any other cheaper way ? I've extremely confused with what the internet shows when it comes to adapters.

I've attached a picture with my (in plan ) to buy microscope and with the adaptor that I've found on lmscope

Any info and help will be appreciated
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (26.85 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
Old_Zeiss_Standard_Microscope_with_Adapter.jpeg
Old_Zeiss_Standard_Microscope_with_Adapter.jpeg (61.91 KiB) Viewed 1520 times

MicroBob

Re: GH5 m4/3 on vintage zeiss

#2 Post by MicroBob » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:37 pm

Have a look at Rolf's hybrid eyepiece method, in my eyes one of the best. For your Zeiss Jena microscope you can probably use a Zeiss West/Oberkochen adaptation, they were close in their colour correction approach.
https://microscopyofnature.com/micropho ... -eyepieces

zzffnn

Re: GH5 m4/3 on vintage zeiss

#3 Post by zzffnn » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:31 am

My LOMO objectives are highly similar to Zeiss Jena in optical design, and I have used micro four thirds cameras over microscope.

This LOMO k10x wide field eyepiece can be un-threaded and glued onto a camera lens thread adapter:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402270497630?n ... 7675.l2557

I then thread the LOMO K10x eyepiece onto a 28mm manual focus prime lens and connect micro four third camera onto that manual lens.

The K10x eyepiece goes directly into visual eye tube of microscope. This is called the afocal method. A light splitting teaching head would be ideal, but I don't know if Zeiss Jena offered one. I used my short LOMO objectives on a highly Nikon microscope, which does have teaching heads available.

Sigma 30mm m4/3 lens will work too, but I highly prefer manual lens for microscope, because my Sigma 30mm lens would randomly closes its aperture on me and reduces it view field.