MU1403 USB 3 on Mac not seen by 'other' software

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
DirtNerd

MU1403 USB 3 on Mac not seen by 'other' software

#1 Post by DirtNerd » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:34 am

Does anyone use this camera with something other than ToupLite (AmLite) on a Mac?

I have a new MU1403B USB 3 camera. I'm using a Mac running Monterey 12.1 (although I also tested on old computer with 10 something). The software, ToupLite for Mac, is substandard. I was hoping to use the camera with Captivate, Quick Time, Photo Booth... any of the apps that recognize USB cameras. The computer system recognizes the camera but the software doesn't. It only works on the proprietary software. All Other USB camera devices work just fine. Hours spent in chats with Apple, Adobe, etc.

I'm pretty frustrated and unhappy that this nice camera is paired with such poor software. If you're on a PC you have no idea how bad it is on a Mac! ;) Does anyone know a work around? Is there a camera for Mac that can use other than proprietary software?

I'm open to starting over with a DSLR, etc., if that's the only option. I don't know where to start trying to figure that out. It's important for me to have live streaming due to eyesight issues.

MichaelG.

Re: MU1403 USB 3 on Mac not seen by 'other' software

#2 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:55 am

I share your pain … but yes, I believe that range of cameras will only work with ToupLite

I did find a UVC camera listed a while ago … but couldn’t justify the expense of buying a pair.

… Most of this discussion is probably irrelevant to your question, but it may be worth reading:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=12534

MichaelG.

UVC : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_video_device_class
Too many 'projects'

Greg Howald

#3 Post by Greg Howald » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:49 pm

I haven't found an answer. My brother has the same camera and computer. He also has the same problem.
The USB cameras sold by Amscope above the MD model will not work with the standard camera app for windows 10, and the MA model cameras sold by Amscope will only work on a PC using a terribly inferior software provided with the camera. They can't be used with MAC at all. With MD and MU model cameras, Amscope software and hardware seems to be developed primarily for the PC world rather than any other operating system, and you are certainly not alone in your frustration. I am still seeking answers for my brother. I will talk to him again today to see if he has found any answers and if so I will add another response to your request.
Greg

MichaelG.

#4 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:22 pm

I don’t think this gets us any further … but it’s a fairly well-presented list:
https://amscope.co.uk/pages/software-downloads
* UVC cameras work with newer "plus" versions of Mac software, but may not work on older software versions for Mac.
MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

MichaelG.

#5 Post by MichaelG. » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:39 pm

It may be worth exploring ProScope : https://proscopedigital.com/why-proscope/

I note that Apple Inc. is a customer !

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

Greg Howald

#6 Post by Greg Howald » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:31 pm

Hi again. I spoke with my brother and he tells me that the only software he can used with the 1403 camera is the MAC version of the software he downloaded from Amscope. Greg

DirtNerd

#7 Post by DirtNerd » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:37 pm

Thank you so much for checking on this. I think it's down to "love the one you're with". :D Hopefully the software will gradually be updated to something resembling the PC version.