Camera for live streaming on desktop Mac

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
DirtNerd

Re: Camera for live streaming on desktop Mac

#31 Post by DirtNerd » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:29 pm

Sliding Focus wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:45 am

Welcome! Both programs seem to run fine since I updated to Monterey. Yes, let us know how it goes!
A special thanks to Sliding Focus for all the help trying to sort out the setup for the Canon. The latest utility software recommended for Mac (EU 3.14.30) does not seem to work in Monterey. HOWEVER downloading 3.13.30 does. It opens EOS Utility 2. I tried endlessly to get the current download to work. Finally, I download one version earlier to try. It works. I look forward to Canon getting the newer version patched up so all the goodies are available. The EOS webcam utility worked right from the start. It was the Utility controlling the camera that was stubborn.

The wrong microscope adapter was sent so the camera has been balancing on top of a too small adapter while all the setup has been going on. It leaks light but it matters not. It's only to get the software up and running. The proper adapter will be here Tuesday. I can already tell that the image quality will be hands down better than the microscope cameras I've tried (5, 10, 14, and 18 MP). The last 3 were all USB 3. I don't know yet how the live streaming quality will compare. Toup has lots of handy options in the full ToupView. All the great options don't matter if the image isn't great to start with. I realize Sliding Focus knows all this. I'm thinking other Mac users may be following. I don't know anything about DSLR cameras other than what I've read up on recently. I purchased a like new used Canon 70D body for less than $400. It surprised me by coming with battery charger, cables, strap, battery, and card. On top of the camera there was the $100 +- cost of an adapter. Another $30 was spent on an AC adapter. All of this together came to about $100 more than a 14 MP microscope camera. I urge others to consider a similar choice for their microscopes.

jfiresto

#32 Post by jfiresto » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:28 am

I agree. You can save money with a mirrorless camera, especially if you do not need live video. I am looking at under $200 to add an E-PL7 (an Olympus demo unit, 3000 shutter cycles with a two year, camera store guarantee) to my father's SMZ-2T.
-John

MichaelG.

#33 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:35 am

jfiresto wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:28 am
You can save money with a mirrorless camera, especially if you do not need live video.

Very true .. but the opening post seemed quite specific :
I need to live stream as I have some issues with my eyes.
MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

jfiresto

#34 Post by jfiresto » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:26 am

You can also save money if you need live video. If you deduct $200 for the two bundled kit lenses, a new GX85, which outputs clean, continuous, 4K HDMI video, was less than $300+tax when it was being closed out about three years ago. (I am just getting started with one which is why I did not mention it.) There are many more mirrorless, APS-C cameras and expect you could do similarly well with one.
-John

MichaelG.

#35 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:53 am

jfiresto wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:26 am
You can also save money if you need live video. […]
Again ... very true

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'

DirtNerd

#36 Post by DirtNerd » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:26 pm

MichaelG. wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:53 am
jfiresto wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:26 am
You can also save money if you need live video. […]
Again ... very true

MichaelG.
I also want to thank you Michael for all your advice and suggestions. You've probably read that I purchased a Canon 70D. On my Mac desktop, it is live streaming in Zoom as a web cam and in the Canon Utilities. It was a struggle figuring out how to get it to run on Monterey but the solution was simple. Premiere Elements recognizes it for adding media. Thanks again for your help!

MichaelG.

#37 Post by MichaelG. » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:48 pm

An excellent outcome ... Thanks for sharing your success with Premiere Elements

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'