iPhone 13 pro max adapter

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
johnwater

iPhone 13 pro max adapter

#1 Post by johnwater » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:55 pm

hello
i am new to this forum and eager to learn.
i have a old Nikon Labophot with a phototube and 35 mm adapter.
but now i have a iPhone 13 pro max.
as most of you know this is a great phone but not easy to adapt to eyepiece of my scope
I was thinking of using the old phototube with some form of adapter for this phone, wondering if anyone has done this, or can refer me to a site about this.
thanks
john watermeier

zzffnn

Re: iPhone 13 pro max adapter

#2 Post by zzffnn » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:26 pm

Some iPhone to telescope adapters will work.

With multiple lenses on the iPhone, you would want to know which lens to align the eyepiece to.

You may be able to use a visual 10x eyepiece in your phototube and make it parfocal with visual eyepieces in eye tubes, then align iPhone and adapter.

krispenhartung

#3 Post by krispenhartung » Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:30 pm

Sadly, LabCam has stated they do not plan on making an adaptor for the iPhone 13 Pro max, only for the 13 Pro. I had to use my older iPhone XR.
🦠 🦠🦠🦠🔬🔬🔬🔬
Krispen Hartung
Microscopy, macro photography, bird and wildlife photography
Motic Panthera C2 Trinocular microscope (BF/DF/PH/POL)
iPhone XR (12MP 3024 x 4033 images, 4K 30fps video)
LabCam Ultra iPhone adaptor

l8rk8rs

#4 Post by l8rk8rs » Wed May 18, 2022 1:58 pm

I'm in the exact same boat! Have you found an adapter solution to your 13 Pro Max woes?

PeteM

#5 Post by PeteM » Wed May 18, 2022 4:04 pm

For microscopy, I'm not sure the iPhone 13's three cameras represent much of an advance.

Just using your old phone (or one bought cheap) and running it on WiFi only (no extra plan needed) will be more convenient. You can lease the camera permanently attached to an eyepiece, making a swap for a regular eyepiece fast and easy. No need to fiddle with alignment each time.

You'll want a remote release (cheap and usually possible with most cell phone cameras) and perhaps use an external monitor for viewing (often possible).

krispenhartung

#6 Post by krispenhartung » Tue May 31, 2022 3:03 am

That’s my assessment as well. I’m using my iPhone XR with the upgraded labcam ultra adapter, which has better optics and a 20X eye piece magnification. Best choice I ever made, and the cool thing is that you don’t have to zoom in on the camera to get a full rectangle or frame. also, both the iPhone XR and iPhone 13 promax have 12 megapixel cameras, and video capability is very similar. So there really is no advantage. Plus I’d rather just have a separate iPhone constantly mounted on my microscope rather than having to use my good phone on it. There are many times when I am shooting video or taking photos on a microscope and then using my regular phone to do research
PeteM wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:04 pm
For microscopy, I'm not sure the iPhone 13's three cameras represent much of an advance.

Just using your old phone (or one bought cheap) and running it on WiFi only (no extra plan needed) will be more convenient. You can lease the camera permanently attached to an eyepiece, making a swap for a regular eyepiece fast and easy. No need to fiddle with alignment each time.

You'll want a remote release (cheap and usually possible with most cell phone cameras) and perhaps use an external monitor for viewing (often possible).
🦠 🦠🦠🦠🔬🔬🔬🔬
Krispen Hartung
Microscopy, macro photography, bird and wildlife photography
Motic Panthera C2 Trinocular microscope (BF/DF/PH/POL)
iPhone XR (12MP 3024 x 4033 images, 4K 30fps video)
LabCam Ultra iPhone adaptor

StevenGraff

#7 Post by StevenGraff » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:01 pm

Their website indicates they now have LabCam & LabCam Ultra for all iPhone 13 & iPhone 14 variants.
New to Microscopy 6/2022
Microscope: Nikon Alphaphot YS 2
Camera: iPhone X
Camera Mount: LabCam & LabCam Ultra