Camera buying advice

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
Bix

Camera buying advice

#1 Post by Bix » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:35 am

My husband and I are beginners and enjoying looking at pond water microbes. We have a Euromex bscope with e-plan objectives and would like to get a camera for live viewing in the $400 - 600 range. Perhaps a bit more if it would make a difference.

Euromex sells there own cameras but don't know if that is the best way to go.

Any advice appreciated!

Tina

Sliding Focus

Re: Camera buying advice

#2 Post by Sliding Focus » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:16 am

Someone else may have a different opinion, but my recommendation would be for you to get a used DSLR or mirrorless camera and NDPL(1)-2x microscope adapter with the appropriate mount for whatever camera you get. I'd recommend that solution for the following reasons:
  • Unlike a dedicated microscope camera, a DSLR or mirrorless camera can double as a high-quality camera for general photography (if that is of any interest to you)
  • My (admittedly very limited) experience with dedicated microscope cameras has been full of frustration, while putting my DSLR on my microscope has mostly been very easy (but YMMV)
  • The right combination of DSLR or mirrorless camera and software will give adequate quality for streaming video, and will give better image quality than a dedicated microscope camera if you ever decide you want to get more serious about video or photography through the microscope
I'm not sure where you're located, but in the US, one can pick up a nice used Canon camera (one of the better brands for microscopy) with video capability for ~$200, and used NDPL(1)-2x adapters sell for ~$50–60 on eBay (and new ones are $90–120). That easily puts this solution within your budget.

I (and several other folks) made this same recommendation to someone back in January; in case that thread might interest you, it can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14714.

Bix

#3 Post by Bix » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:53 am

Thanks so much - will check out the previous posts. Tina

Scarodactyl

#4 Post by Scarodactyl » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:10 am

For your budget you can get a used canon t7 which is what I use and like a lot, plus an ndpl adapter. The ndpl may not be the exact best solution for yoir system but it will probably give at least acceptable results optically.

Dubious

#5 Post by Dubious » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:39 am

Is your microscope a trinocular? If not, I would probably get a USB camera of >5MP, that you insert into an eyetube and connect to a USB port on your computer. I like DSLR cameras for the larger sensor for trinoculars; but with a binocular microscope, most would be too heavy and bulky hanging on an eyetube IMHO (others may disagree). I would get a USB camera that supports USB 3.0, as USB 2.0 can be too slow transferring high-resolution video. Something like the Amscope 10MP USB 3.0 Color CMOS C-Mount Microscope Camera with Reduction Lens should give reasonable results.
https://amscope.com/collections/digital ... cts/mu1003

MicroBob

#6 Post by MicroBob » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:17 am

Thr type of tube will help to decide how heavy the camera can be. With a vertical photo port it can be heavy and/or build up high, with an inclined binocular tube a lighter, shorter camera is better.
Very few advanced micro photographers use USB eyepiece cameras though this is not impossible. Practically all use a DSLR or increasingly a DSLM mirrorless system camera. In this case it will be important to choose one with EFSC, electronic first shutter curtain. Without the shutter shock blurrs the photos to some degree.

What also works is to use a better quality smart phone. The microscope offers good lighting and the results are fine. Handling and adaptation are different so this is also a matter of taste.

It also is a question of how you want to use the camera: Observe ober the big screen? Live connection to the computer? Just taking photos with the camera and pull out the SD card?

Which tube do you have and do you happen to already have a suitable camera?

DonSchaeffer

#7 Post by DonSchaeffer » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:16 am

Dslrs are lousy at making videos. A dedicated eyepiece camera is lighter and can take videos and stills with much less fussing. Even a phone camera adapter is a good option.

MicroBob

#8 Post by MicroBob » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:58 am

DonSchaeffer wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:16 am
Dslrs are lousy at making videos.
They have been used in professional videography for many years - they can't be so bad then...

DonSchaeffer

#9 Post by DonSchaeffer » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:34 am

True. Mirrorless cameras are very good. Expensive but good.