Combining eyepiece camera with reduction lens?

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
J_WISC

Combining eyepiece camera with reduction lens?

#1 Post by J_WISC » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:11 pm

Has anyone successfully combined a small USB eyepiece camera like this one (AmScope MD500) …

https://amscope.com/products/md500

… with a reduction lens (e.g., OMAX 0.37x) purchased later?

https://omaxmicroscope.com/a3rdf37-0-37 ... amera.html

I realize this would require an appropriate adapter ring, which I’ve found. It appears the sensor and reduction factor would work. And the combination would closely resemble larger eyepiece cameras actually designed for use with the reduction lens as well as smaller cameras with built-in reduction lens, right down to the same sensor specs.

I think the issue could be distance from sensor to the lens in the reduction lens. Too far away?

I hope I worded this correctly. Thanks for sharing experience, good or bad.

PeteM

Re: Combining eyepiece camera with reduction lens?

#2 Post by PeteM » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:42 pm

Even with a reduction lens those aren't very good cameras. The connection is slow for movies. The photo relay lenses (typically .5x is typically bundled) are mediocre and still don't match images areas. They're not even well corrected even for "neutral" sysems and worse for older microscopes that require eyepiece corrections.

Most people end up disappointed that what they see through the eyepieces is so much better than what the camera "sees."

You'll get better images, with a spare cell phone camera (say, $60 for a new old stock iPhone 6) hooked to a spare $25 eyepiece with a $20 holder. Search past posts here for more info.

BramHuntingNematodes

Re: Combining eyepiece camera with reduction lens?

#3 Post by BramHuntingNematodes » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:59 pm

Here is a comparison:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12854

You get a severe pincushion distortion outside the center FOV with the Omax reduction lens.
1942 Bausch and Lomb Series T Dynoptic, Custom Illumination