DSLR camera or special-purpose microscope cameras?

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
Bix

DSLR camera or special-purpose microscope cameras?

#1 Post by Bix » Sun May 15, 2022 10:12 pm

Thanks to all who answered my question last time. Now I am ready to make the plunge to buy a DSLR camera for live viewing, but before I do, I want to clarify a couple of things, if anyone has time or interest to reply.

Microscope that we have: Euromex trinocular Bscope -eplan objectives

My main interest is in live viewing, with the best possible field of view and frame rate, so there isn't a lag in the action. My husband and I enjoying viewing together.

1. DSLR will provide better field of view because of larger sensor and frame rate than special purpose microscope camera? Right?

2. Do I need to go to HDMI or is USB3 good enough? We will start by hooking up to my dell latitude laptop (which has usb3 and hdmi ports) and maybe get a separate monitor later.

3. Euromex sells its own adapter: https://www.optics-pro.com/camera-adapt ... us/p,53926. More expensive than the Amscope adapter. Is it better to buy the one from Euromex? I couldn't locate the Motic one that Oliver reviewed about 2 year ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9JxEPvueC0. This one sounded good.....

Thanks, Tina

PeteM

Re: DSLR camera or special-purpose microscope cameras?

#2 Post by PeteM » Mon May 16, 2022 12:34 am

Does your Euromex microscope have finite or infinite objectives?

If infinite, an affordable solution might be to go direct (no photo relay lens) to a mirrorless camera body with something like a Micro 4/3 or APS-C sensor. There's a good chance it can pick up the image if placed right above the trinocular head. A DSLR with its longer camera flange to sensor distance can work as well if your trinocular head will allow you to pick up the image?

If finite and an APS-C or full frame sensor size, then a photo relay lens - perhaps the Euromex 2x relay lens (others may have experience) - might make sense. The AmScope version works, but not especially well in my experience.

Small sensor cameras (say, the mirrorless Nikon J-1 with a so-called 1" sensor) can also take pretty decent pictures through an open C-mount adapter. One of these might cost $150 for a used body and likely be better than most $500 and under dedicated USB microscope cameras. If you do go the microscope camera route - consider sensor size as well as megapixels and be sure to get HDMI or USB-3 for reasonable video refresh rates.

Bix

#3 Post by Bix » Mon May 16, 2022 2:01 am

It has finite optics.

Thanks for the info!

EYE C U

#4 Post by EYE C U » Mon May 16, 2022 2:37 am

camera for macro .. swift 18 for micro

Roldorf

#5 Post by Roldorf » Mon May 16, 2022 6:13 am

!!!!!!!!!
Your dell laptop will only have an HDMI out port, you will need and in port for the camera.

Unknown Brand: Optika SFX 91: Bresser Science Infinity: Canon 4000d
ImageImage

Alexander

#6 Post by Alexander » Mon May 16, 2022 6:48 am

You may use a HDMI-to-USB3 adapter. HDMI output from the camera and USB3 input to the computer. This is how I do it. HDMI output on contemporary cameras is at least 50 - 60 frames per second while even expensive microscope cameras suffer when it comes to frame rates. They are most useless for live viewing and video.

SWmicro

#7 Post by SWmicro » Mon May 16, 2022 12:42 pm

Hi Tina, a few more thoughts :
I have a Canon 60D (APS-C sensor) which I use live view on its little fold-out view screen, no lag. For interesting stuff I put it into Record (instant via a little button near the viewfinder) to save onto the SD card. Then transfer to computer for editing/processing.
The small view screen is a bit limiting (for old eyes !).

Taking the USB2 camera output to a USB2 computer with nice big monitor has a bit too much lag for me on pond critters, only good for slow moving or still subjects. I dont know if newer DSLR with USB3 might be fast enough ? or the limitation may be in the software in the computer ?
One of these days I will buy a big HDMI monitor for the camera.

The camera has an extension tube (no lens) and sits on the top of an old microscope body with finite objectives (from ebay) and the head (prism , eyepiece etc.) is removed, (so the extension tube is acting like a -short- trino port).
I don't know your scope, is the trino port tube removable or can it be shortened*, if so then this type of direct imaging can be used to avoid the need of a projection eyepiece or adapters.

* The image normally formed by the finite objective is down inside the standard trino tube, which is ok for eyepiece and Euromex type adaptors to access but cannot be reached by a DSLR sensor.
A cheat can be achieved by adjusting the focus (with some objectives) to throw the image further out, but then it will not be performing at its (conjugate focus) optimum specification.

Bix

#8 Post by Bix » Mon May 16, 2022 2:52 pm

Thanks all!

I didn't realize that the laptop HDMI was for output!!!

So, you all I think I'm on the right track to buy a DSLR camera instead of the special purpose camera?

Thanks for the camera recommendation - so many out there in the used market.

Tina

Greg Howald

#9 Post by Greg Howald » Mon May 16, 2022 3:53 pm

Hi Tina. Yes, for live shots go with DSLR. You read about them all over the forum. I don't have one. I work mostly with plants and rocks and they don't have legs or ciliates. :lol: Good luck in your endeavors. Greg

PeteM

#10 Post by PeteM » Mon May 16, 2022 3:59 pm

Personally, I think the right track is a mirrorless camera (not a DSLR) versus a dedicated microscope camera from Euromex, AmScope, etc. The mirror in a single lens reflex camera adds cost and complexity, often introduces vibration, adds distance to the sensor that is sometimes an obstacle, and is one more thing to go wrong. And since you'll be viewing on a big screen or the camera's own screen, you don't need or want to peer through a DSLR viewfinder to compose or show your photos.

You'll want one with interchangeable lenses (much like a DSLR) a remote shutter release, and ideally good and affordable tether software. A high quality articulated screen can also be useful, especially if you don't have complete tether control.

This is from someone who is mostly happy with a Nikon D750 DSLR in Live View mode but has equipped half a dozen other scopes with various mirrorless cameras (mostly Nikon and Sony, though Canon and others can be excellent choices).

Greg Howald

#11 Post by Greg Howald » Mon May 16, 2022 9:42 pm

The mirrorless cameras are newly out. I hear they are very popular.

elaniobro

#12 Post by elaniobro » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:00 am

This is from someone who is mostly happy with a Nikon D750 DSLR in Live View mode but has equipped half a dozen other scopes with various mirrorless cameras (mostly Nikon and Sony, though Canon and others can be excellent choices).
I would love some help with my mirrorless setup. :D