Canon Mirroless Adapter

Here you can discuss everything related to taking light micrographs and videos.
elaniobro

Canon Mirroless Adapter

#1 Post by elaniobro » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:51 pm

Hi, me again. I am wanting to know what type of adapter do I need to mount my camera to my microscope. I have a previous discussion I started titled: Camera Choice Help (Thank you all for your comments/feedback and contributions to the discussion)

I bought an AM scope microscope camera adaptersome time ago, and have since bought a Canon M50 Mark II camera. I am not sure of what adapter I should by to mount my camera to it. I need an adapter of sorts, as the threads don't line up.

Any help from anyone in the community would be greatly appreciated. Cheaper the better, but also do not want to sacrifice quality. Do microscope adapters like the one I already have exists for the Canon mirror-less line or will I need to get an adapter? Canon adapters can cost up to $200 which seems super pricey. I just need the adapter to hook up my camera body to the microscope.

FWIW I have an entry level Swift 350T as well as a vintage Will Wetzlar BX100

An adapter I was looking at, that I thought might work is this one from Adorama: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter for Canon FD & FL 35mm Lens to Canon EOS M (EF-M Mount) Mirrorless Camera Body I was told by a rep that this one, is the cheapest they have: Commlite EF Lens to EOS M Camera Adapter with Electronic Iris and AF

Hobbyst46

Re: Canon Mirroless Adapter

#2 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:49 pm

Not all inexpensive adapters such as in the links are reliable. I bought one a year ago, electronic EOS-M to EF adapter, and within a few months the electronics failed, so it is now only a mechanical interface, and electronic control does not work any more.

But more important, I suggest not to buy an adapter without first planning the whole setup.

a) If afocal, one needs indeed a camera lens. If you take an EOS-M lens, you benefit from the short flange distance, whereas the EOS-M -> EF adapter adds bulk and increases the flange distance. On the other hand the number of EOS-M lens models is pretty small. The camera has an APSC sensor so, if using a 10X eyepiece, a 40mm camera EOS-M lens would be fine for filling the sensor; but there is no such lens AFAIK, apart from the kit zoome lenses, like the 15-45mm, which are not the best.

b) If focal, one connects the camera body directly to the photo tube. If possible, that would be better than afocal. In that case one "only" needs an EOS-M -> phototube mechanical adapter.
Hope that helps some.

elaniobro

#3 Post by elaniobro » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:22 pm

I should preface my reply with the fact that I am a camera n00b. I am trying my best to research this to put together a setup, and think it through. Hence, why I am posting here.

Thank you for your reply. Option B sounds ideal to me. Do you happen to have a link to a website that might sell such EOS-M -> phototube mechanical adapters?

Hobbyst46

#4 Post by Hobbyst46 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:16 pm

elaniobro wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:22 pm
...Option B sounds ideal to me. Do you happen to have a link to a website that might sell such EOS-M -> phototube mechanical adapters?
Regretfully, no. The only supplier I have heard of is the LMscope firm in Austria. Their web site is exhaustive and impressive, although the adapters they sell are in general expensive.

I should have mentioned that option B also varies according to whether an eyepiece is needed or not. On my olde microscope, an eyepiece works in combination with the objective to minimize spherical and chromatic aberrations. Thus, I can connect the camera body without camera lens, but the adapter must accept the eyepice.

Whether the same holds for the Swift 350 - ??
But there are several Swift users on the forum who will probably know.

imkap

#5 Post by imkap » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:24 pm

You don't need an electronic adapter for your microscope, but it may be useful if you want to have some EF lens for your camera. Try to find a used electronic one for the price of a manual... So if it fails, you lose nothing :mrgreen:

geo_man

#6 Post by geo_man » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:49 pm

Check if the canon adapter unscrews from your microscope adapter. If it does, I think this should work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2 ... =UTF8&th=1

Good luck.

blekenbleu

#7 Post by blekenbleu » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:55 pm

elaniobro wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:51 pm
I bought an AM scope microscope camera adaptersome time ago, and have since bought a Canon M50 Mark II camera. I am not sure of what adapter I should by to mount my camera to it. I need an adapter of sorts, as the threads don't line up.
That AmScope microscope camera adapter is intended for Canon's EF (DSLR) cameras.
If you ever want to use any EF lens (they are plentiful and relatively cheap),
then an EF to EF-M adapter will work for both those lenses and your AmScope adapter.
I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W2X3XWA

On the other hand, if you will NEVER want to use any other Canon EF equipment,
then @geo_man's suggested EF-M to T2 adapter may work.
One concern is that AmScope adapter optics may be less than ideal
and mismatch your microscopes' oculars' optical corrections.
An adapter I was looking at, that I thought might work is this one from Adorama: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter for Canon FD & FL 35mm Lens to Canon EOS M (EF-M Mount) Mirrorless Camera Body I was told by a rep that this one, is the cheapest they have: Commlite EF Lens to EOS M Camera Adapter with Electronic Iris and AF
You almost certainly do NOT want to get involved with any Canon FD stuff.
That Commlite adapter is equivalent to my (cheaper) Meike from Amazon.
All that "Electronic Iris and AF" stuff is just BS;
These adapters are basically short tapered tubes with EF bayonets on one side and EF-M on the other.
Contacts and simple wiring connect signals between them.
Metaphot, Optiphot 1, 66; AO 10, 120, EPIStar, Cycloptic

elaniobro

#8 Post by elaniobro » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:34 pm

I went with Geo mans suggestion and got this:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P2 ... =UTF8&th=1

Works like a charm!

I was talking to my buddy about my macro lens, that I also got. He said I need a tube to extended it to get really close up, or to reverse the lens?? Does anyone know anything about such?

MichaelG.

#9 Post by MichaelG. » Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:59 am

elaniobro wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:34 pm
… or to reverse the lens?? Does anyone know anything about such?
Many camera lenses are of an asymmetric ‘retro-focus’ design

Reversing one of these can produce excellent ‘macro’ results

[Google is your friend]

MichaelG.
Too many 'projects'